Mistake of the week...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NazNomad

Established Member
Reaction score
After laminating a lovely oak-beech-oak blank and spending ages carefully cutting it on the bandsaw this morning, I realise the template was reversed.

I'm now the proud owner of a very nice left-handed banjo neck blank....

That should fetch a premium, can't be many Banjos made specifically to cater for a sinister player.

John Brown":yuc8ow5m said:
I take it it's a five string?

Unfortunately.

I'm so disappointed with myself that I can't muster the enthusiasm to go out and glue up another blank...

NazNomad":2n4itivb said:
I'm now the proud owner of a very nice left-handed banjo neck blank....
I don't get it... Can't you just turn a banjo upside down, reverse the string order and play it lefty? :p

CHJ":2n4itivb said:
That should fetch a premium, can't be many Banjos made specifically to cater for a sinister player.
Probably more than you'd think...
http://leftyfretz.com/buy-left-handed-banjo/

Left-handed piano, however... that's far scarcer!! :D

Tasky":1fyjs2a3 said:
I don't get it... Can't you just turn a banjo upside down, reverse the string order and play it lefty? :p

Not with a 5 string, it has a step in the neck.

I ''may'' have gotten around it.

I ripped off the step to make it a 4-stringer, then glued a long thin wedge on the correct side to create the step where it should be.

I also cut a new neck from a solid oak blank, so if the fist bodge doesn't work I'll not be without a neck. It's for personal use anyway, so as long as it works...

What a c0ckw0mble. :-D

Too flippin' cold and wet outside now, the rest of the day is devoted to coffee and Skyrim.

Q: What does a correctly tuned banjo sound like?

A: Nobody knows.

Tasky":3awx3jyb said:

Now I can't get the name 'Billybob Hendrix' out of my head.

I write left-handed, I'm ambidextrous with a hammer and saw, throwing and most everything else is right-handed.

Anyhoooo, the f-up that started this thread has actually turned out pretty nice. You can hardly see the join and the home-made drawknife worked like a dream.

banjo player: "When I die, I want to leave the world a better place."
guitar player: "Don't worry, you will."

7f9b9883f2465385372dcfa54f32f8d94c1611ccb85d0beff5a00faaa1ddee2e.jpg

Back