Aldi bandsaw....does anybody have one and can comment?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cozzer":3cqt2t3l said:
phil.p":3cqt2t3l said:
Cozzer":3cqt2t3l said:
The manual claims that the max size for a band on this machine is 12mm...
I'd think 12mm more than enough for that size of saw.

Maybe a bit of wishful thinking on the part of the manufacturer!
Suspected as much, so glad I bought a Tuffsaws 3/8" instead.
Yet to try it..still playing with the 1/4"!

Cozzer picture below is a piece of hardwood resawn using the 3/8" blade and it cut well without deviation on line bearings free of blade and back bearing the same but not pushed.

bandsawn lp w.jpg

Attachments

• bandsawn lp w.jpg
    bandsawn lp w.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,954
mayo.mick":3d6pewy7 said:
Still kicking meself that I missed out on this bandsaw. Anyone know would it be back again in Aldi and when?

It is still on thir website.

If you email aldi customer services and give them your post code they will tell you which stores near you still have some in stock.

...I love mine that much I may buy another just as a back up ... :)
..just fitted a new blade from Tuffs....the finish it gives is that good there is no need to sand it!!

MrTeroo":3nt1d7ys said:
mayo.mick":3nt1d7ys said:
Still kicking meself that I missed out on this bandsaw. Anyone know would it be back again in Aldi and when?

It is still on thir website.

If you email aldi customer services and give them your post code they will tell you which stores near you still have some in stock.

Must check, but maybe not available over here in Ireland, thanks.

There is another brand on the web around the same price, the Aldi one is just rebranded and slightly cheaper I reckon.

Thats definitely the same as the Aldi one...and at £109 from Screwfix I still think its a good buy..(I think I paid £80 from Aldi and I am sure it will come around again if you are prepared to wait a bit...

Stevebod":5avunnv8 said:
Thats definitely the same as the Aldi one...and at £109 from Screwfix I still think its a good buy..(I think I paid £80 from Aldi and I am sure it will come around again if you are prepared to wait a bit...
Be aware that the Scheppach quotes the motor as 250W, the Aldi Workzone one is 350W.

HTH P

I think there is another one branded EBauer or something like that (amazon I think because there was mention of
EU German) at under £100.

Scheppach provide the after sales support for Aldi for their bandsaw

[email protected]

Both Aldi & Scheppach versions share the same model number HBS20

The printed manual doesn;t give a power rating for the induction motor, the box is left blank.

There was no sign of this turning up in Ireland this year and I was interested in playing with one so I ate the extra few quid and ordered the Titan version of the bandsaw from screwfix (and some blades from tuffsaws) and have been playing with it for the last day or so; the Titan version has the thrust bearings edge-on to the blade rather than face-on like the Aldi version, but I can't quite adjust them back far enough to not touch the blade while having the lowest part of the gullet in the middle of the wheel. There doesn't seem to be a lot of adjustment room for them either. Has anyone modified or replaced the guides entirely?

I suggest you adjust the thrust bearing as far back as you can and then adjust the blade to suite, ignoring the gullet position on the top wheel, that should give you a good enough set up, not ideal, but good enough.

Modifying or replacing the guides on this bandsaw is a non starter I feel, if you start throwing money at, what is after all a cheap machine, you may as well have started with a better machine in the first place, just my opinion.

Mike

Mark, the Titan saw is a re-badged Ryobi BS904g whereas the Aldi one is a re-badged Scheppach HBS20. This accounts for the difference in the thrust bearings. There is loads of stuff on YouTube on the Ryobi which may help you adjust the saw.

Cheers Simou1, I was under the impression the HBS20 and the Titan and just about every other 8-inch bandsaw was coming off the same production line with rebadging and "options", interesting that there are actual variants on the design.

MikeJhn, that's pretty much what I've already done; I wouldn't want to throw much money after it, but I figured if it was small enough money, like the tenner I spent on a tuffsaws blade, that might be worth it.

I have the titan saw and made a new mount for the upper thrust bearing, it's only a piece of metal rod with 2 holes in it (and a flat filed in it). i did this so I can run a 1/2" blade.

I chickened out in the end and instead of making a new mount, I took advantage of the fact that bearings are jellybean parts in the mechanical engineering world and just ordered two sets with smaller outside diameters but the same shaft diameter and sealing spec:

2017-12-11-13.14.25a.jpg

Total price on ebay: seven euro for both packets and P&P. Fitted them today alongside the 5mm teflon rod replacements I got for the steel rod side guides (I figure teflon's going to do less damage to the blades than the cut-off-with-a-dull-angle-grinder finish on the steel rods, plus less chance of stripping the grub screws trying to muscle them into steel).

IMG_1888a.jpg

IMG_1887a.jpg

There's barely 0.2mm clearance between thrust bearing and the back of the 3/8ths blade there, but...

IMG_1886a.jpg

That's with the gullets centered on the crown.

And yes, it cuts beautifully with that blade now, tracks nice and straight through three inches of walnut without so much as a hint of the drunken walk I was getting in one inch oak last week with the same blade. I'm happy with that result.

I'm a little bit annoyed that I checked last Thursday, couldn't see it coming back, so I ordered the Titan saw from Screwfix and some Tuffsaw blades on Friday. Bandsaw arrived on Saturday and the blades won't arrive till later this week. Then I saw the Aldi saw is available again! If I hadn't order the new blades, I might have sent the Titan back and got the Aldi. I'll have to hope the 25mm extra throat and mitre slot are worth the extra £30.

Back