UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are breaking the law, regarding misuse of personal data, although it's presently almost unenforceable.

But... in the middle of May next year, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) gets the full force of law here (in the UK). It covers all sorts of records and is very straightforward, and a lot more stringent about data privacy and misuse of data too, such as in Brian's case. It's an EU regulation, so I ought to despise it, but I think it's actually pretty good, and it will be unaffected by Brexit.

Will it have any teeth? Hard to say, but on paper the possible fines would close a small company, and the Data Protection Registrar's office is adopting a "we will take no prisoners" attitude, at least publicly.

As a marketer by training, I really hate the term "direct marketing" as it's intended to make hard-selling over the phone or by mail sound reasonable, and really has little to do with the complex subject I studied at university years ago. But it is a huge and profitable industry for the people who own the data (lists of people and their attributes). I have little sympathy for those who sell this way, as they know they are making profit by ripping-off people who don't know any different.

A classic scam are those expensive electric convection heaters. I succeeded once with the Advertising Standards Agency, in a complaint about a flyer through our door, claiming their heaters were more efficient and would save lots of money (both claims being false), but all that happened was a minor reprimand for the company concerned (no fine), and we still get the same leaflets as the autumn draws on, same photos, with just some very clever re-wording, so that they are not technically lying any more. I imagine them laughing when they got the Regstrar's letter.

Somebody's going to say, "Don't be unfair to salesmen they're only doing a job." But then you could describe pick-pocketing as just a job, too. And, having now got elderly parents myself, I know that there are good companies out there, who, presumably are losing out to the sharks, too.

I very much doubt the GDPR will stop misuse of personal data by smaller outfits, as the Registrar will simply be too busy to chase everything, but until that changes, Brian's approach might be the best one. After all, nobody drives from York to Dumfries on that sort of business (and books an overnight) unless they are hoping for a very tidy profit indeed.

Part of the problem is the way the 'lead' is generated. First you get the phone calls, (as you found these just keep comming) why :?: because the person on the phone is also on commission providing he can get you to say 'yes' to a sales visit. If you do say 'yes' he passes it on to the sales person and makes it sound like your are desperate for a stair lift to be fitted. He does this to make sure the salesman visits you, once the appointment is confirmed he collects his commission.

When the salesman called to book the appointment did he ask if your wife would be with you :?: They don't like it if it's only going to be you at home, they can't play the classic 'one against the other' game. I once had a double glazing salesman refuse to come if my wife wasn't present.

As mentioned above personal data is bandied around and it's wrong. I look forward to better protection. I get mail from BT addressed to the old house name, the house name was changed 20 years ago (by previous owner) but they didn't do anything. I've tried writing, phoning, e-mailing them, makes not one jot of difference the mail still keeps comming so now I just look at what address they've used and put it through the shredder. Annoys me 'tho because of the time and electricity I'm using :x

I am convinced consumers need to take action to make it unprofitable to continue with business in the current way. The regulators seem fairly ineffectual so relying on them is pointless.

- return mail as "unsolicited - return to sender". Post Office will soon resent the extra work mass mailing creates.
- unsolicited calls - just waste callers time for 30mins playing dumb if you are able
- adopt OPs technique of inviting persistent callers to a pointless home visit

I love cold phone calls, really enjoy winding them up, typical examples are:
Accident claims, i tell them that they need to speak to my dog/cat as they were driving/passenger,
Ones pretending to be from Microsoft, i pretend to go through the routine and after about 10mins i tell them i use Linux,
Home improvements, same again after 10 mins or so tell them its a council property,
and if you worked in a noisy enviroment, then i will talk very very loudly down the phone to them,
and a few others that i just make up as i go along,

Back