NiCd to LiPo upgrade?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pexy13

Reaction score
Greetings
I have a problem with my drills batteries because they are old and don't hold 
charge any more like they used to (no torque and speed). The drill itself is in good shape so i was thinking about buying a
new LiPo battery and replacing the connectors and stuff to make it work with my drill.
The drill is Bosch GSR 12-2 PRO.
Is this a good idea and would it work normally or is it more beneficial to buy a new drill?
Thanks

Pexy13":1c5zebwo said:
Greetings
charge any more like they used to (no torque and speed). The drill itself is in good shape so i was thinking about buying a
new LiPo battery and replacing the connectors and stuff to make it work with my drill.
Is this a good idea and would it work normally or is it more beneficial to buy a new drill?
Thanks

Certainly in the UK, I would say buy new. A significant cost in a new drill is the batteries, so you dont pay much more to get a drill with 2 batteries than buying 2 batteries on their own.

The charger is also important. You won't be able to correctly charge LiPo batteries with a NiCd charger, and could risk a fire or explosion.

MikeK":2p9nkxsi said:
The charger is also important. You won't be able to correctly charge LiPo batteries with a NiCd charger, and could risk a fire or explosion.
I agree I would need to modify the charger too.

RobinBHM":3hwhn5hc said:
Pexy13":3hwhn5hc said:
Greetings
Thanks

Certainly in the UK, I would say buy new. A significant cost in a new drill is the batteries, so you dont pay much more to get a drill with 2 batteries than buying 2 batteries on their own.

Okay then I will look it up and decide.

You would have to completely rebuild the charger to charge LiPo battery’s it will need a cpu to monitor and adjust the charging rate, do you have in-depth knowledge of electronics?

Buy a new drill it’s going to be cheaper.

Pete

Pete (above) is spot-on.

You are better off buying a new drill: Lithium cells (3.6V) are a much higher voltage than NiCd (1.2V). You need fewer of them and you need a very different design of charger. But...

... If you carefully dismantle your old NiCd battery, you could turn it into a car or motorcycle battery adaptor:

Keep the case, and carefully wire some thick* power cable to the main connectors inside it, and out through a hole in the side** of the (empty) battery case, to "alligator" clips for the car battery.

Recharge the replacement battery with a car/motorcycle charger, NOT the one that came with the drill (car batteries need different charging from NiCds). There are usually extra, small connectors on the battery. These are for a temperature sensor, only used when charging the NiCds - you can ignore them. If the drill has a battery charge indicator, this will not be accurate any more.

Make sure you get the + and - connections the right way round (label your alligators too!). The motor does not care (it will just run in reverse), but if the drill also has electronic speed control, that might be damaged by reversing + and - .

I know this is not as convenient as cordless, but it will work, and if you have an old (not dead!) car battery, it's a good use for it. It also only costs you some alligator clips and cable (if you already have a battery). Please recycle the NiCd cells inside the battery if you can - the chemistry is very poisonous for the environment, so do not just throw them into landfill.

The thicker the cable you use, the longer it can be. Thinner cable will steal some power from the drill, and you will notice the difference. Car batteries need to be kept charged though, so you can't work until the battery goes flat, as it will be damaged.

Then you have a new drill (that you have bought), and a useful spare.

* Lots of copper -- HiFi or PA loudspeaker cable would work, too, but may not be robust enough for site work!

** This is so it will still stand when you are not using it. You might need to put a heavy weight in the bottom of the old battery case too, so that it doesn't tip over. If you use a metal weight, make sure it cannot touch the connectors inside.

Pete's correct - you definitely *can* do it, but it's a pretty intense little electronics project to do it right, because lithium power systems and cells are very different to nicads (and if you screw up charging a lithium cell, it can and will catch fire - see the samsung phones and earlier laptops for examples of that happening when whole teams of engineers doing this as a day job screwed up. There are convertor kits out there - I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw my car. And most drills these days pot all their electronics using epoxy so the odds of you being able to modify them successfully are fairly low; also there's not a lot of room in the cases to do modifications like that.
They really are designed from the ground up to be replaced, with a limited lifespan. Hopefully the new "right to be repaired" laws will address that but you're talking timetables on the order of a decade here because of manufacturing lead times and everything else in the supply chain.

What really annoys me is that even without changing battery systems, if your battery goes it's cheaper to buy a new drill and the batteries that come in the box with it than it would be to buy a new battery. Which is where I am now - my Bosch holds just enough charge to drill between three and five 4mm holes in inch-thick oak. Which is why my eggbeaters, braces and chest drill have been getting a workout.

It's worth renewing your tools for performance as much as anything else - I tried out my DeWalt Li ion 18v when I got it after passing on my 18v Hitachi NiCd. I got twenty five inch and a quarter holes through five inch softwood on one charge of a 2ah.

Racers":psvnnkv8 said:
You would have to completely rebuild the charger to charge LiPo battery’s it will need a cpu to monitor and adjust the charging rate, do you have in-depth knowledge of electronics?

Buy a new drill it’s going to be cheaper.

Pete
Yes I was aware of that. I know my way with electronics so I think that I could rebuild a charger but I was thinking either to buy a charger for the batteries or use charger for the batteries of my RC quadcopter.

Pexy13":1v6o7jv5 said:
Yes I was aware of that. I know my way with electronics so I think that I could rebuild a charger but I was thinking either to buy a charger for the batteries or use charger for the batteries of my RC quadcopter.

How much effort (time) are you willing to invest in the conversion, as your time must be worth something? While you are busy developing a solution that might work, you will not have full use of your tools, which I assume contributes to your income.

I fly large RC helicopters that use very large LiPo batteries. My chargers were only a few hundred dollars and do the job quite well. Unless the charger that came with your quad can handle the load for the batteries you need for your tools, you will have to buy or design a suitable charger. I was an electrical engineer many years ago, and buying is much more cost effective now that designing and building. While I could eventually build a LiPo charger that might work, it would not be anywhere as good as what I can buy online or at any well-stocked hobby store.

I admire your desire, but if my income depended on the availability of my tools and charged batteries, I would buy new and cut my losses with the older technology. I separate cost and value, and once a tool, or other piece of equipment, no longer works for me, I toss it.

Why not just replace the old batteries? Cheap and easy. Get them on line.

If you are used to your Bosch, then there is little to be gained with a modification. I have a 20 year old Panasonic 12v, and replaced the batteries a few times over the years. It is still working well (touch wood!). I have a newish Festool 10.8v, which is a little lighter, but the Panasonic is balanced and powerful, and is still my first choice.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Why not just replace the old batteries? Cheap and easy. Get them on line.

If you are used to your Bosch, then there is little to be gained with a modification. I have a 20 year old Panasonic 12v, and replaced the batteries a few times over the years. It is still working well (touch wood!). I have a newish Festool 10.8v, which is a little lighter, but the Panasonic is balanced and powerful, and is still my first choice.

Regards from Perth

Derek
I looked online and couldn't find replacement ones online.

In passing, it's interesting that the "intermediate" Li-ion batteries that fit the older style deWalt tools sell secondhand for a lot more than the new, slider ones. Fortunately, bought mine and necessary charger before this happened, so whole set of older DW stuff lives and works on!

Thanks a lot guys after all my brother found replacements online
and thats what im going with.
Cheers

Back