Do you use Charles Gregory@Tansley-If so, PLEASE HELP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
I am putting together a table of timber yards, with information from members who have actually visited the yards. Can you please help with information about Charles Gregory?
(To VIEW the full list of yards click here)
(To ADD a new yard/s please post here after checking that it is not already in the table.)

Are they hobby friendly?

Can you self-select or is it by appointment?

Will they deliver?

Do they have online ordering?

Are prices displayed at the yard?

Do they sell domestic hardwoods?

Do they sell other hardwoods?

Do they sell softwoods?

Do they sell manufactured boards?

Do they sell turning blanks?

Are they a one-man-band or a small, medium or large yard?

Will they cut to length to fit in your vehicle?

Do you have any comments?

Thanks for your help,
Neil

Hi Neil,
I’ve used Gregory’s on a few occasions though it was a couple years of years ago, I couldn’t comment on price as on those occasions the materials were booked to another companies account, I didn’t see prices displayed in the timber store.

Looking at your list of questions I’d struggle to answer all of them but I found them friendly & helpful, on each visit i went with a chap from the trade counter to sort out the timber I wanted, I imagine they deliver but don’t know if you can order online.

They definitely have softwood, sheet materials & mouldings, presumably they have native hardwoods as there’s a pretty big sawmill there though I don’t know if they cut to size, I imagine they would but it’s not a service I’d need.

It’s a small to medium sized place though there’s not a lot of parking, if I remember correctly you park on the main road out front.

Old fashioned and vey helpful. Medium sized - 20 staff perhaps?
Very slow if you turn up at the wrong time without ordering first.
No ordering on line. No turning blanks as such but I bet they'd try to help!
John Gregory in Darley Dale are still at it but have shrunk from massive old fashioned yard to just fencing, gates and firewood. They may do more but I don't know. They were brilliant in the old days, felling and collecting locally, lots of interesting bits and bobs. End of an era - horses and traction engines etc

Back