Regrouting shallow...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sickasapike

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering how it's likely to turn out if I don't cut out the whole depth of the grout in the bathroom here (it's home diy not paid work btw), the problem is I'm not really sure how well/consistently it's all attached to the wall behind and fear if I really get in there and separate all the tiles, some may abandon wall or an area sag off the wall or...

I guess what I'm asking, is how well does new grout stick to old (albeit cleaned, dry, smoothed/roughed if that would help) grout ? - I've got a decent V-ish shaped channel cut out between the tiles now, down to about half tile thickness on the sides and deeper in the middle but am shy of pushing through to the rear of tiles so far, is it completely all or nothing with regrouting ?

It will need re-tiling one day, year or two; not seeing this as a long term solution, just getting it presentable.

Amazing how much grout the original chap left, white grout on white tiles so not obvious but most of them had a 1cm matt border all round the edges - I spent half of this afternoon scraping that off the faces and a clean and polish, bathroom looks brighter already !

Bill Derr":24oe8nxh said:
Get yourself one of these and clean the joints down to at least half way and then it should stay in ok. Use a decent quality cement based grout such as Webber, Mapei or Ultra (current favourite) and mix by the instructions.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/pro-grout-rake-cutter/17903
Thanks, but I've a new oscillating multi tool thing for the job, great little machine !

I'll go in a bit further, til I start to see the rear of the tiles peeking out here and there, and call it ready.

ColeyS1":247d6iha said:
http://www.diy.com/departments/hg-mould-remover-spray-500-ml/136829_BQ.prd
Please try this before going through all the bother. It's only a fiver. Open the windows after cause it's quite whiffy.
I'm nearly finished, the kitchen grouting is much less scrappy, I'm going to rejuvenate rather than regrout those, but the bathroom really needed it.

Back