Useless blade adapters.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caveman

Established Member
Reaction score
My scroll saw came with useless, non pin end blade clamping devices. Basically the blade goes through a small hole in the device and then you have to try to clamp it between two allen screws. Obviously, when you turn one of the screws to tighten them, the blade twists and even snaps. I have filed the ends of the allen screws flat but it makes no difference, the blade still twists.
There is not a lot of room between the bottom location point for the adapter, plenty at the top.
I have looked all over the place to find a suitable clamp but so far have drawn a blank.
Can anybody suggest one please? The locating pin is 12mm wide.

Attachments

• IMG_3378.jpg
    IMG_3378.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_3376.jpg
    IMG_3376.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_3276.jpg
    IMG_3276.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_3277.jpg
    IMG_3277.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 858
I looked at those Naz but can't work out how they attach to the saw arms. There are no clamps on the saw arms as you can see in the photos, just a hook and two pin-blade locations.

Um, I wonder, if I remove the current blade attachment system, those clamps might just fit in their place. I need to check the threads!

Attachments

• IMG_3277.jpg
    IMG_3277.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 847
  • IMG_3276.jpg
    IMG_3276.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 847
You have an Allen screw that holds your ''shiny metal springy bit;; onto the end of the arm.

See this pic - they fitted those clamps inside the shiny part, utilising the same screw.

scroll-saw-002.jpg

Replace the round bushing in your blade clamp with those new ones.

Yes thanks, that was how I thought they fitted but the bolts look much bigger than the ones holding my mounts on - these are only 3mm allen screws, theirs liik to be around 5mm.
Any way, having seen the Axminster ones I have decided to make my own from a bit of aluminium bar. Hope the aluminium wont wear too quickly at the clamp area?

NazNomad":17wdkr4d said:
Would these replace the shiny metal part on your saw?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-bl ... gJle_D_BwE

Rather than an adapter, just change the clamp.

Thanks for this link NazNomad - I checked these clamps out but they wouldn't fit, however they gave me a template so I bought a bit of aluminium bar, 1cm X 10cm and manufactured my own clamps to fit my saw.

Bit rough but they work a treat!

Attachments

• IMG_3397.jpg
    IMG_3397.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 667
I can now use the very thin, spiral blades for cutting out the gears, much easier than turning the piece all the time :)

I just need to countersink the nuts so I don't need to use a spanner when tightening the clamp with the hex bolt! Tomorrow is another day :)

Latest posts

Back