Blanks from logs?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulrockliffe

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got some logs, 4-6' long and 8-12" diameters. They're freshly cut beech and cherry.

Do I seal the end then store them to dry, or is there more to it than that? What do I seal them with? And how long do they take too dry? What are the pitfalls I need to watch out for, I don't want to invest s load of time in this and end up thinking I might as well have chopped then for the fire!

Thanks.

Thanks, that's useful, but I could do with a rough idea of how long to dry and what to paint the ends with? Any normal paint or is done better than others?

I'm planning to just seal the ends and store them on a rack for now, won't be touching then for some time and I presume I can cut them into blanks at any time, so long as I then reseal them?

Any old paint or wax will do, ideal way of using up those part used cans, anything that will simulate still having a bark sealing coat on.

Time? a lot depends on species, two to four years are not unusual, whilst waiting to build up stocks so that you can live with these timescales you just have to work some pieces in varying stages of green turning and trying the various home drying methods to speed things up.

With the wood in log form takes a lot longer for it to dry as CHJ stated you can rough turn to an even thickness and this will reduce drying time but the outside still need sealing and stack it in stick under cover with a good air flow.
I seal as soon I get them but convert into either discs or spindle blanks as soon as possible and store as I mentioned. If I want them quicker I then rough turn as above and seal the outside this can reduce drying time quite a bit.
Expect some failures especially with things like fruit woods like the cherry this I would definitely rough turn and it still may split but worth it if it does not

I am not good at this turning lark yet but it has been my experience cherry will split. the only thing I have in one piece is an apple, everything else split past repair. I suggest you rough turn green wood, then seal and store in paper chick feed bags packed in the same shavings. This works fairly reliably for me. keep stored somewhere well away from sunlight or any heat sources.

I generally cut the logs into blanks and seal the end grain with candle wax or pva glue or paint or what have you. Then I stack them in a cool dry place until their turn on the lathe comes up. Some of it I turn green and wet then kiln dry and finish turn. Some just sit around until I get around to them. As to time, well, I've a few pcs that have been patiently awaiting their turn for 15yrs and some from a couple of months ago and all points in between. It all depends on your set up, storage facilities, need etc.

Found this thread very interesting, i have just got my hands on some cherry and it's been outside for some time and the ends are split because it has not been sealed. To reduce further (i hope) splitting i have sealed the end with PVA. The bigger piece i intend to cut along the grain with the chainsaw i will then decide whether to cut those pieces in half across the grain.

I sea an interesting youtube video where a turner used an old fridge with all the cooling removed, he fixed a 60watt bulb inside and left hit wood to be turned in there for about 2/3 weeks, after this the wood was dry enough to turn and had very little splitting. I don't have enough room for this as my shed is small 12ft*8ft and full. The garage is also full with the Trike. I was going to try a cool box but have yet to get my hands on one cheap enough.

I dont have a lot of space and was considering putting a load of blanks to dry in my loft, does any one have any experience of this and if its a bad idea?

Cherry is notorious for splitting ,you will struggle to get bowl blanks from it unless you turn it wet,grain orientation is very important with it and even then a lot of differential drying will be a major problem.I would aim for small spindle blanks and don't expect too much from it and then you won't be too disappointed .Seal the ends in the usual way and dry it very slowly in a cool place,it is a lovely wood to turn,I am presuming this is the ornamental cherry grown in people's gardens and not American Cherry if I presume incorrectly ignore my advice and ask someone with experience of drying that timber for turning.Good luck with it anyway.

thanks, i don't really know what it is, it looks like cherry, but i don't know exactly what it is. Tree was much taller than normal ornamental trees and is about 12" diameter.

I sealed the ends then i cut a round off each end and sealed the new ends, they've all got small splits already, so its not looking too hopeful!

Am I best to wet turn these as soon as possible then?

The rest of the wood seems to be doing better so far.

At the very least, split it down the middle. I use an electric chainsaw to cut them into rough shape, then seal the ends with PVA. The only thing I haven't had split as a full log is yew. So long as you cut the pith out it tends to be ok - most cracks radiate from the centre.

Back