Low back welsh chair build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ro":29dijaru said:
I really need to sweep my floor :roll:
Nah, it looks great. Just don't try any hot work ...

As an APTGW (Association of Pole Lathe Turners and Green Woodworkers) I get that esteemed publication "The Bodger's Gazette", which has a list of green woodworking courses, including chairmaking. So if anyone is desperate to get back to nature with a quieter and more gentle approach to woidworking, I could perhaps scan the relevant bits.

ro":l2k4j9k6 said:
To hold the arms while smoothing them with the spokeshave, I ran a piece of rope through the holes in the bench, put it over the top of the work and pulled the bottom down with my feet.

I've been wanting to try this workholding method out ever since I read about in in Woodworking in Estonia. It turns out to be really handy, quick to use and holds the workpiece really tightly, especially if I use my body as a large "meat peg" on one end of the work. I also found out that I can get better purchase with my feet on the rope if I join the two ends of the rope with a piece of wood:

I do like that! Quick, effective and costs nothing. Clever people those Estonians.

ro":47rrkkix said:

To hold the arms while smoothing them with the spokeshave, I ran a piece of rope through the holes in the bench, put it over the top of the work and pulled the bottom down with my feet.

I've been wanting to try this workholding method out ever since I read about in in Woodworking in Estonia. It turns out to be really handy, quick to use and holds the workpiece really tightly, especially if I use my body as a large "meat peg" on one end of the work. I also found out that I can get better purchase with my feet on the rope if I join the two ends of the rope with a piece of wood:......
Brilliant! I bought Woodworking in Estonia on-line but haven't really looked at it yet.
Craft trades used to have loads of spiffing wheezes like that - they couldn't get the gadgets everybody buys nowadays!
"Saddlers clam" is similar idea - it stands vertically and the jaws are closed with pressure on the stirrup.

sclfs.gif

Sheffield Tony":317cda3f said:
ro":317cda3f said:
I really need to sweep my floor :roll:
Nah, it looks great. Just don't try any hot work ...
I showed your reply to the better half and she rolled her eyes and threatened to ban me from the forum.

Sheffield Tony":317cda3f said:
As an APTGW (Association of Pole Lathe Turners and Green Woodworkers) I get that esteemed publication "The Bodger's Gazette", which has a list of green woodworking courses, including chairmaking. So if anyone is desperate to get back to nature with a quieter and more gentle approach to woidworking, I could perhaps scan the relevant bits.
Yes please! I had a course booked earlier in the year with Mike Abbott, but unfortunately work commitments stopped me from being able to attend - I was absolutely gutted.

Jacob":317cda3f said:
Brilliant! I bought Woodworking in Estonia on-line but haven't really looked at it yet.
Craft trades used to have loads of spiffing wheezes like that - they couldn't get the gadgets everybody buys nowadays!
"Saddlers clam" is similar idea - it stands vertically and the jaws are closed with pressure on the stirrup.
It's definitely worth a read. Loads of great ideas.
Love the look of that "Saddlers clam". I'll have to find an excuse to make one at some point...

Onwards with making the crown...
I laid the arms over the remaining piece of sycamore and marked out the rough outline of the crown, making sure the grain runs along the back.
DSC07520.jpg

Cut it out on the bandsaw and then decided on the length I wanted. I then marked off tangents at the ends by lightly holding a square against the edge. I find this takes a couple of goes to get it right. Has anyone got a better way of marking tangents off a curve?
DSC07521.jpg

Marked off a radius on each end and kerfed down to the line a couple of times on the bandsaw
DSC07523.jpg

And then removed the waste with chisels and gouges - using the "rope vise" again
DSC07525.jpg

The crown is simply glued to the top of the arms. I felt guilty for using clamps instead of figuring out some solution using the bench, but life is short and this build is taking ages!
DSC07526.jpg

When the glue was set, I used Custard's method of turning the plane on it's side to smooth the back of the arms and crown
DSC07546.jpg

Hopefully I'll get the spindles done this afternoon...

Attachments

• DSC07520.jpg
    DSC07520.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 885
  • DSC07521.jpg
    DSC07521.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 885
  • DSC07523.jpg
    DSC07523.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 885
  • DSC07525.jpg
    DSC07525.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 885
  • DSC07526.jpg
    DSC07526.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 885
  • DSC07546.jpg
    DSC07546.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 885
Cracking looking work, and a good pace too.
I see you are using a combination square. If that includes the bit with two 45 degree arms, one each side of the blade, then the blade is square to the line across the points, if they are the same length, works well on curves well circles anyway. Now that set up might be too much for your present job, but should provide ideas for a smaller version.
I am looking forward to seeing spindles.

xy

xy mosian":3m4c84ru said:
Cracking looking work, and a good pace too.
I see you are using a combination square. If that includes the bit with two 45 degree arms, one each side of the blade, then the blade is square to the line across the points, if they are the same length, works well on curves well circles anyway. Now that set up might be too much for your present job, but should provide ideas for a smaller version.
Great idea about the combination square. By utter coincidence I have just ordered a new 6" combination square from Axminster which has that bit on, so I'll give it a go. I'ev also ordered a curved base spokeshave for the inside of the arms.

Right, to make the spindles I started with a lump of inch thick ash with fairly straight grain in places
DSC07527.jpg

Ripped into 22mm squares 12 1/2 inches long (plus a couple of longer ones in case I cock anything up)
DSC07529.jpg

I was going to shave them, but I had left the shaving horse outside in the rain and I didn't want to get a wet bum. So I decided to use the lathe instead 8)
I turned them into rough cylinders about 21mm diameter. I really need to practice more on the lathe. The only tool I can use us the roughing gouge and I'm not too hot with that!
DSC07537.jpg

Marked up the tenons and extent of the hump in the middle
DSC07538.jpg

Turned the tenons to size, again with the gouge, using a 16mm spanner as a quick caliper. Then I put in a quick transition between the middle hump and the tenons.
DSC07541.jpg

A quick sand with 180 grit and I have 10 spindles!
DSC07542.jpg

3 quick holders for the arms made out of scraps. One slightly shorter than the other two to lower the back
DSC07555.jpg

I then tried the spindles in a variety of positions until I came up with an arrangement that i liked and held them in place with blu-tack.
DSC07552.jpg

I marked the rough position of the spindles and then used far too many sets of dividers to step out the actual positions, equally spaced.
DSC07550.jpg

All marked out, ready to be drilled
DSC07554.jpg

It's too cold to drill now, so that can wait for another time. Warning: the next instalment will include lasers.

Attachments

• DSC07527.jpg
    DSC07527.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 850
  • DSC07529.jpg
    DSC07529.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 850
  • DSC07537.jpg
    DSC07537.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 850
  • DSC07538.jpg
    DSC07538.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 850
  • DSC07541.jpg
    DSC07541.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 850
  • DSC07542.jpg
    DSC07542.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 850
  • DSC07555.jpg
    DSC07555.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 850
  • DSC07552.jpg
    DSC07552.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 850
  • DSC07550.jpg
    DSC07550.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 850
  • DSC07554.jpg
    DSC07554.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 850
Just realised there is a "Woodworking in Estonia" in print - large excerpt here https://lostartpress.com/products/woodw ... in-estonia
I bought a PDF from a library which is a crude mimeograph with poor quality pictures but it does have 344 pages! I'll have to buy the new one now.

Re marking up - I'd be inclined to do the trad thing and draw up full size drawings on a board, then take off all marks direct from the drawing. Especially those seat outlines and arms details. Has it's limits of course but it's what I'd have a go at first. I suppose not possible in green woodworking if you are out there in the woods

Love the 16mm spanner caliper cheat. And the blu tack!

Are you going to drill with a hand drill? Or a drill press? Looking great so far.

ro":22wxiuct said:
the remaining piece of sycamore

If you run out of Sycamore there's a fair few boards in the woodstore, you're just down the road from me so you're welcome to some. Great project by the way, excellent to see ingenuity and determination trumping tools and gadgets!

ro":jow638dj said:
Sheffield Tony":jow638dj said:
Yes please! I had a course booked earlier in the year with Mike Abbott, but unfortunately work commitments stopped me from being able to attend - I was absolutely gutted.

I haven't forgotten this, until I get around to scanning the paper list, there is an APTGW list of course tutors on-line here:

https://www.bodgers.org.uk/index.php/55-courses

Are you within striking distance of Weald and Downland Museum ? The bodgers will be gathering down there in May:

https://bodgersball2018.wordpress.com/

Jacob":elkv7pzw said:
Just realised there is a "Woodworking in Estonia" in print - large excerpt here https://lostartpress.com/products/woodw ... in-estonia
I bought a PDF from a library which is a crude mimeograph with poor quality pictures but it does have 344 pages! I'll have to buy the new one now.

Re marking up - I'd be inclined to do the trad thing and draw up full size drawings on a board, then take off all marks direct from the drawing. Especially those seat outlines and arms details. Has it's limits of course but it's what I'd have a go at first. I suppose not possible in green woodworking if you are out there in the woods
Yup, that's the copy I have. The pictures are excellent quality!
And, yes you're right, it would be much simpler if I made a drawing, or even a template for this part. I'll try to do that next time...

Sheffield Tony":elkv7pzw said:
Are you within striking distance of Weald and Downland Museum ? The bodgers will be gathering down there in May:
Awesome. I'll try to head down there for that.

custard":elkv7pzw said:
If you run out of Sycamore there's a fair few boards in the woodstore, you're just down the road from me so you're welcome to some. Great project by the way, excellent to see ingenuity and determination trumping tools and gadgets!
Thanks for the offer, if I cock the arm up I'll take you up on that offer!
I think this post might contradict your statement about the lack of gadgets though...

El Barto":elkv7pzw said:
Are you going to drill with a hand drill? Or a drill press? Looking great so far.
Read on...

I finally managed to grab an hour in the workshop to drill the spindle holes. The first thing was to make a new laser lever, as one of my existing ones was far too ghetto to post pictures of.

I started off with a laser line module (4 quid from ebay) and a battery holder. I then made up a 3/4 inch dowel and drilled a 12mm hole down the middle of it. I bored a 3/4 inch hole in a scrap of ash and made a tiny peg.
DSC07557.jpg

Put them together and I get a cheap, ghetto (but better than the last one) laser level
DSC07560.jpg

Before I removed the arm I had made some alignment marks on it and on the seat, and I now used a combination square to put it back in exactly the same position
DSC07567.jpg

I then clamped the lasers to the end of the arms and aligned them to the marks for the upper holes and lower holes and drilled the through the top of the arm.
DSC07573.jpg

DSC07575.jpg

The trick is to keep both laser lines parallel with each other down the length of the auger bit.
DSC07571.jpg

Once I'm through the arm, I can then put the auger point on the bottom mark and bore down an inch into the seat
DSC07574.jpg

All the holes drilled, as you can see I had to move the rear clamps to drill the middle holes
DSC07576.jpg

And obviously I couldn't resist a trial fit of the spindles 8)
DSC07580.jpg

Attachments

• DSC07557.jpg
    DSC07557.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 659
  • DSC07560.jpg
    DSC07560.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 659
  • DSC07567.jpg
    DSC07567.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 658
  • DSC07573.jpg
    DSC07573.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 658
  • DSC07575.jpg
    DSC07575.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 659
  • DSC07571.jpg
    DSC07571.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 659
  • DSC07574.jpg
    DSC07574.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 658
  • DSC07576.jpg
    DSC07576.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 658
  • DSC07580.jpg
    DSC07580.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 659
Now that's clever! Precise but without the need to buy an expensive one-purpose tool. I had no idea you could get a laser module on its own for so little money.

A laser-guided hand brace?! That's amazing :lol:

Good work =D>

MusicMan":37akaezf said:
Just waiting for Jacob's reaction ... !
Impressed. Amazingly cheap, so that's good!
In terms of this job though, shouldn't hand and eye skills be sufficient?
All tools are "gadgets" but some gadgets are less necessary than others and may even diminish craft skills; just think of the struggle that gadgetised sharpening has become!

Latest posts

Back