Shooting board help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
Looking to make my first pair of shooting boards soon for my new no.62, one that can be combined 90/45' for picture frames etc and one for longer 45' pieces for boxes etc.

I'm reasonably confident in the making process i just need to know peoples advice on the best designs to follow and specifically where i can get a bang-on 45' marking square (such as the kinex one from workshop heaven - https://www.workshopheaven.com/kinex-en ... egree.html)

all advice appreciated!

thanks in advance, Joe

I'd question if you really need a high quality 45 degree marking square, what you need is a shooting board design that's adjustable. You can then tweak the settings until you're reliably producing mitres that together result in a true 90 degree joint. So, find the right shooting board design (search this forum, there are gazillions of them) then invest your money in a good 90 degree square that you'll use very day rather than a 45 degree version that you'll only use once in a blue moon.

Have to agree with custard on being adjustable.
As to squares I went to a stationers and got plastic 45* and 60* squares for the odd times I use a drawing board. They are also great to check you'r working squares against now and then too. Cost not much at all.
Regards
John

I use a 90 degree shooting board, with a separate 45 degree ply triangle screwed temporarily against the fence for mitres. It's really very easy to mark 45 degrees without a 45 degree square, using a compass and a 90 degree square.

Latest posts

Back