wolf planer blade setter needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adidat

I will not buy anymore tools...
Reaction score
Managed to get one of these nearly new from an auction the other week,

104924075_614.jpg

it had everything in the box including the rare fence, but sadly not the the blade setting jig, as far as i'm aware its just a block of plastic that sets the blades evenly as the blades are resharpenable, just a shout out to see if anyone had one kicking about from a long gone similar planer???

I plan to build a planer frame so it can be used on site as mini planer.

Adidat

Hi adidat. I have had a very similar model from new, cannot remember the model number off the top of my head.
Makita badged Wolf with a full blade of 82 mm width, from memory. I did recieve a blade setting jig with it which was also used when sharpening the blades. That is not something I would get rid of but I'm happy to take dimensions if that helps.
xy

Xy that would be great! And maybe some pictures if you can manage it! Then I can knock one up out of corian or something.

Adidat

Adidat, It will take a little time to dig it up, but it'll get there.
Just as a matter of interest what model is it?
Having checked, mine is not the Wolf branded Makita. I remember looking at the Wolf, which was made by Makita, and being steered towards the Makita by my friendly shop assistant. The Makita was identical apart from the label and having a two bar guide, the Wolf had only one. Slightly lower price too. The Wolf had an red open circle with the M of Makita which included the E W in the lower ends of the M printed on the specification plate.
From the images I have in the instruction manual, making one may be longish task. If you have a Makita dealer nearby they may be able to help if you find that daunting. Now to find my dial calipers, and the setting jig.
xy

Mines definitely wolf not sure on model number will look tomorrow, but it came with a two bar fence.

Adidat

I have had a good look at the image you posted adidat. I think I can see, lower left hand corner of the specification plate, a Makita badge.
Badge cr web .jpg

If I'm not seeing things then this shows that the planer was made by the Makita Electric Works. My best guess, if this is correct, for the Japanese equivalent would be the 1100.
Manual here https://www.makita.ca/data/upload/owner ... nglish.pdf

Hope this helps xy

Attachments

• Badge cr web .jpg
    Badge cr web .jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 1,369
Aadidat, I have just thought are you ok with Sketchup 2017 files, no problem if not. Just let me know I can soon do 2d drawings, or dimensioned images.

xy

Ah yes it would seem to be identical to that and seems the setting jig for the Makita is readily available online. So thanks you total genius!!

Looks fairly complex so making it would have been tricky!

Adidat

adidat":f971fojl said:
Ah yes it would seem to be identical to that and seems the setting jig for the Makita is readily available online. So thanks you total genius!!

Looks fairly complex so making it would have been tricky!

Adidat
Steady with the genius bit, just trying to help, and pleased to be able to do so. Thanks anyway.

Now then I have never seen one, either virtuallly or in the flesh, but I was told that Makita made an adapter for these planes to take replaceable blades.

A mini planer eh! At around the time that your plane was new, Bosch also had one on the market. Now this is relavent as they had a thicknesser attachment available. Basically it was a 'U' shape with a square bottom, the plane sat on top and an adjustable table was suspended below the plane. The plane was held in place with a strong elastic strap.
I made a similar affair, in scratty ply, for mine. The tricky bit was the adjustable table. In the end I merely used two bolts all the way through the 2" thick table, the bolts running in slots. Setting up was/is, if it hasn't fallen apart, by setting zero cut on the plane adjusting the gap front and back of the sole, then adjusting the cut of the plane. The weight of the Makita ment it didn't need an elastic band.
I have, some time ago, thicknessed 3" x 3" table legs and also 3mm pieces for some instrument or other. It can work well.

If you have not used an electric planer before, beware a full 3mm cut can get you wrong very quickly. DAMHIKI

You're in for some fun, enjoy.

xy

Back