Axminster 3-in-1 plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I searched online but didn't find a clear answer - do you have a primary and secondary bevel on a shoulder plane? I put a 30 degree secondary bevel on the one I just bought. Should it have stayed at 25? If so, does anyone know the distance from an Axminster honing guide to get a 25 degree bevel? Thanks.

edit - this one: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ri ... ide-340147

Chris152":25shstld said:
I searched online but didn't find a clear answer - do you have a primary and secondary bevel on a shoulder plane? I put a 30 degree secondary bevel on the one I just bought. Should it have stayed at 25? If so, does anyone know the distance from an Axminster honing guide to get a 25 degree bevel? Thanks.

edit - this one: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ri ... ide-340147

Hello,

It is fine to have a secondary bevel if you want one. It might even be necessary; if the iron's edge crumbles at 25 set when cutting end grain, 30 might work better.

Mike.

I’m never that precise with angles myself. Bench chisels and planes get honed at 30 something-ish degrees while paring chisels and shoulder planes at something a bit less. Perhaps my woodworking is not sophisticated enough to exploit the difference but it seems to work ok for me.

Thanks Mike - 30 degrees it is for now .
Memzey, if I tried honing without a guide I'd pretty soon render the plane unusable...
Pete:
_MG_6143.jpg

Needs some cleaning and the right angle is useless, but there was something quite exciting about uncovering this! Cheers.

Attachments

• _MG_6143.jpg
    _MG_6143.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 829
Chris152":11pf986t said:
I searched online but didn't find a clear answer - do you have a primary and secondary bevel on a shoulder plane? I put a 30 degree secondary bevel on the one I just bought. Should it have stayed at 25?
It's entirely up to you how you want to sharpen anything. You can have one, two or three bevels on the front and one on the back if that's what suits you/works well.

Back