Vintage Record Vise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey78

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I'm currently in the market for a vintage Record vise . . .
I've seen that the most widespread model is the 52 ,
and have also seen that this vise is highly rated in the woodworking community !!!
Because I'm italian, and don't have the chance to see these vises in my local markets :( ,
I was wondering if there is anything particular I should look for or run away before making my purchase.
What are the caratheristics of a true vintage record ?
Some have "Made in England" cast in the front jaw, some not :?: , any difference ?
Some of them have also (on the front jaw) what looks like a serial number :?:
Furthermore I see some vises with rounded knobs on the top of the lever some others are square...
I've also seen that there is a 52 and a 52 1/2 model, what is the difference in size ? Is this the only difference ?
In conclusion I'm trying to make up my mind about this vise and what to look for
and thought this was the right place for asking advice !!!

Hi Mikey
My own vice is an old Record 42 1/2 Quick release
This is a popular model; of robust build and very nice to use
Bigger than the model 42

Get a quick release model, they are excellent and most convenient

My other vice, which I do not use is Rededa also quick release - similar in size as Record 42 1/2
It was meant to go on the end of my work-bench but I find that one vice is sufficient
jPsFRcxh.jpg

ROej8Y5h.jpg

PHTIkdTh.jpg

Next time you are in the North West of England come to my house and you can have the Redada for free
It may be too heavy to post to Italy

Thankyou very much Cordy it's so kind of you :)
I won't forget your kindness !!!

Thanks also to AndyT :
at least now I've something to read about Record Vises !!!

One more question :
I've noticed these vises have no dogging sistem on the front jaw,
Is that correct ? Is there any vintage record with a pop-up dog ?
Do you miss this feature ?

mikey78":1aukugsd said:
I've noticed these vises have no dogging sistem on the front jaw,
Is that correct ? Is there any vintage record with a pop-up dog ?
Do you miss this feature ?
That was added quite late (sometimes in the 1980's IIRC). It can be emulated
with a thicker moving jaw, with a dog in it.

BugBear

to save you the trouble of wading through the entire Record vice thread, this is the model I think represents the pinnacle of Record's vices - note round boss and distinctive face casting. If you can get a 52 1/2 "A" then even better (this has a metal cover that runs the length of the screw to prevent shavings clogging up the quick release mechanism).

lv7TaefCQjZUaUG3iTjSGiInwFP4BYshLFUDHzUGGrz3ovhqOv5Btw

PS the 52 has 7'' jaws and opens to 8'', and the 52 1/2 has 9'' jaws and opens to 13 ''.

There is also a 53 (10 1/2 '' jaws, 15'' opening)

Thankyou very much guys,
Quick and easy ...these were the answers/informations I was looking for =D>

Hello all, I recently pulled out a vise that had been stored for over 25 years. Never used it only because of the weight. It is an awesome record model 112! Out of sight out of mind. Plan on doing the most beautiful restoration ever to give new life to what I think is an exceptional vise. I’m hoping to keep its original factory condition. If I can’t I was wondering the original paint color and type? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Much love from the US and thank you

Demobob":sysnlckt said:
Hello all, I recently pulled out a vise that had been stored for over 25 years. Never used it only because of the weight. It is an awesome record model 112! Out of sight out of mind. Plan on doing the most beautiful restoration ever to give new life to what I think is an exceptional vise. I’m hoping to keep its original factory condition. If I can’t I was wondering the original paint color and type? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Much love from the US and thank you

This might help;

record-vice-and-plane-paint-roundel-blue-t111426.html

Shipping small tins of paint from UK to US might be unduly expensive or even impossible, but the link does give a paint specification number which might yield a US equivalent.

PS - Those 112's are (almost!) indestructible. Don't drop it on your foot, though....

post1215133.html?hilit=RECORD%20BLUE%20COLOUR#p1215133
This older thread might help you?
In truth, I'd paint it in a machine paint/enamel/car/tractor paint etc that you can source fairly cheap in the US. Whatever colour you like is fine imo for what it matters. It's your vice. It's just a vice. I cleaned mine up and painted it dark green, but I've since got some better paint so it will probably turn out grey in the end because I have a bit left over from painting an old drill.

Edit: Scrub that. It took me so long to find the original CC post that he's been on and answered before I could lmao. #-o
Oh well! Least I tried. Good luck with it all.

Hi. I have many vices but I'm no vice expert. I do have a couple of 52 1/2 E vices that are excellent IMHO. They may not be made to quite the same level of workmanship as the earlier models (?) but they are robust and reliable and the quick-release works well. They seem pretty common and can be picked up fairly cheaply in great condition - my ones have almost perfect threads/paint, no rust etc. I suspect the ones that don't have 'made in England' are more recent ones and are not made in England (India?) - I cant speak to the quality of those but I also suspect they aren't as good.

This might help
https://paulsellers.com/2013/10/record- ... till-best/

Cheers
Richard

Back