Anyone have a veritas large router plane handy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalM

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a veritas large router plane handy?

I've been looking at some info on making your own router plane which utilise the Veritas large router irons. For the life of me I can't find any info on the dimensions of the shaft of these irons. It's fairly critical as the plans call for the use of a closed, threaded eye-bolt to pull the blade taught against the body. There's also a bit of squared off brass against which the iron sits that has to be made too.

Anyway, the upshot of it is, it would be useful the dimensions (thickness) of the shaft in square section, and also diagonally (looks like it has the edges eased somewhat in pics). This is so I could be certain I was getting an eye bolt that would work. The plans/instructions are a little vague on this.

Also, does anyone know if all the irons have the same shaft sizes?

Lee Valley says:

"Our high-carbon steel router plane blades fit our Veritas Router Plane, as well as Stanley #71 router planes (with the height-adjustment nut inverted)."

BugBear

The shafts are all the same size ...

05p3801s06.jpg

If you are building the router from my plans, I will measure it for you ..

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTo ... Plane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

What! Yes, thems the ones! Thanks :)

Edit: Sorry Derek, I had no idea you were on this forum.

I see in your pics that your eye-bolt was 6 x 40mm but I take it that is m6 threaded by 40mm bolt-shaft length. It was what the eye-clearance needed to be that was puzzling me.

The router looks like a great little project.

Across flats: 9.58 mm
Across corners:11.76 mm

They also fit rxh small router planes :)

Attachments

• IMG_1660C.jpg
    IMG_1660C.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 1,316
rxh":u1v6csoc said:
Across flats: 9.58 mm
Across corners:11.76 mm

They also fit rxh small router planes :)

Thx info. That's a beauty. Is that hand tools metalwork? Would love to see how you've made that one if there's a thread/post/blog about it.

I only have a veritas small router but even that little thing has been useful several times and I need something bigger. I've kind of become fascinated with the things but in particular the home made ones. I could probably wait for a few more invoices to come in and buy a stanley/record 71/071 but want to make as many things as possible just for the experience.

DigitalM":2aty2x3a said:
What! Yes, thems the ones! Thanks :)

Edit: Sorry Derek, I had no idea you were on this forum.

I see in your pics that your eye-bolt was 6 x 40mm but I take it that is m6 threaded by 40mm bolt-shaft length. It was what the eye-clearance needed to be that was puzzling me.

The router looks like a great little project.

The eye is 1/2" or 13mm across ..

Router3.jpg

... to fit the shaft of the blade, which is 12mm at the widest section ...

Router2.jpg

4ffd41ef-7a8d-4d58-a009-4a323afa35fa_zpsr5uu7jjk.jpg

I push the plane from the rear - thumbs against the flat back. The blade is adjusted with a plane hammer (just tap the top to deepen the cut. Set the final depth of the cut first with the depth stop).

Note that I hollow grind the blades. This makes for very easy honing.

SharpeningRouterPlaneBlades_html_m1936bcd6.jpg

The method is here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTe ... lades.html

Good luck with your build.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, was there a specific reason you didn't go for m8? Can't seem to find any m6 with an eye diameter like that. Did you think it would look too chunky and industrial? Or what it just that you started with an m6 and when you had to find a larger one you found one and could re-use the other parts?

Yes, a size up just looked chunky and unappealing.

If the blade is a tad tight for the eye, you can grind the edge of the shaft down a smidgeon. A disk or belt sander is the quick way.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Back