Hand saw question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyefxr

Established Member
Reaction score
I have seen something like a tenon saw that has a bowed edge where the teeth are.
I have been asked by a neighbour to look at his wood floor that has a big bow smack in the middle of the room. There is a column in the room and i an sure the floor is jammed against the column under the skirting board. I was going to remove the skirting and if the wood floor is tight against the column i was going to saw a small piece off.
In the summer the floor is ok but about this time of year this huge bump come up.
A normal flat tenon saw will just dig in but a bowed cutting edge should be easier. Has anyone seen one of these saws and know what they are called.

HI Hawkeye,
I know it isn’t the kind of hand tool that’s meant to be discussed on this part of the forum, but if I were doing that job I’d probably do it with an oscillating multi-tool like a Fein multimaster. They are very handy for that type of cut in situ. If the cut became a bit ragged I might cover it with some beading or something but in my experience if you go carefully a good cut is eminently possible.

something wrong here. If the floor is ok in the summer months then its not expanding against the pillar.

Sounds more like water or damp on the undersurface pushing upwards..

But it cant be because the floor is expanding into a pillar. At this time of year the wood is contracting unless its getting waterlogged.

Sounds backwards to me, too. Air at a lower temperature has a lower carrying capacity for water. When you then heat the lower temperature outside air, the relative humidity in the heated area drops. Should buckle in the summer unless somehow, expansion causes it to move somewhere else. Is it possible that something else (contraction of something in another area) is pushing the flooring you're talking about when it contracts more than the underlying floor?

Either way, I'd use a floor saw for inexpensive work, and a multitool for neat. If you have rubbish tools like we do over here (harbor freight), they usually have a multitool that's cheap and workable for just a few jobs. FIL bought one to take care of odd jobs in an old church for $22, and it has held up.

phil.p":32bie7zg said:
My floors were bone dry (suspended, over a basement), for fifteen years they bulged every winter. :D

must be all that radon gas. (lol)

Latest posts

Back