Stow-away kitchen workbench?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another approach, especially if your current table is pretty strong. From "The Handyman's How to do it." No expensive Festool kit required!

tablebench.jpg

Attachments

• tablebench.jpg
    tablebench.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 791
AndyT":1roc8p37 said:
Here's another approach, especially if your current table is pretty strong. From "The Handyman's How to do it." No expensive Festool kit required!

That's not an entirely dissimilar approach to the Milkman's Table.

I'm not a quick wood worker, that's for sure, and after much grafting, mostly with hand tools, but with a little help from a table router and MDF templates for cut-out recesses, here's the end result:

TabletopWorkbench001.jpg

TabletopWorkbench002.jpg

TabletopWorkbench003.jpg

I covered it with BLO last night and it looks a lot better, less bleached.

Now I just need to work up the nerve to whack a load of dog holes in it.

It's based on the Steve Latta (popular woodworking) plans but I'm quite chuffed about a few things:
- It's made from a recycled oak block (I think?!) office desk.
- The clamp recesses are fully recessed into the legs rather than just cutouts. I did this to provide more strength in the legs as I was worried as it's block, not solid wood.
- The vice didn't come with a dog, so I made one, tapped it, and found a much better knob/screw (after loads of research!) than on my other vice.

Anyway, I receive a lot of advice and support on UKW, all of it very patient about my rather noob questions. I'm really grateful, and while many of you could rustle something like this up in an afternoon, I have to work really, really hard at it.

Attachments

• TabletopWorkbench.jpg
    TabletopWorkbench.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 692
  • TabletopWorkbench001.jpg
    TabletopWorkbench001.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 698
  • TabletopWorkbench002.jpg
    TabletopWorkbench002.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 699
  • TabletopWorkbench003.jpg
    TabletopWorkbench003.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 698
Seconded! Nice tidy job and reclaimed wood as well - good stuff.

I frequently present demonstrations of handwork at wood shows or club meetings. I need to be able to take along all the tools I need - plus a bench - since I cannot be certain that there will be one and, if there is one, that it can hold the work in an appropriate manner. The types of demos I do are dovetailing and drawer making, mortice and tenon joinery, tapered sliding dovetails .... small pieces - it is a demonstration of handwork, not a full build ...

Firstly, the bench is 28" long x 15" wide and 2" thick. It has a wagon vise. I recently added a twin screw vise, which works as a Moxon dovetail vise, and it also used for sawing tenons.

This would be perfect to use on a kitchen table.

image.jpg

The screws are simply 5/8" steel thread into steel thread inserts ..

image.jpg

The photo below are some of the tools I take along. They are in the photo. The important feature here for you is the the Moxon vise for dovetailing ...

image.jpg

There is a stop for smoothing longer boards ...

image.jpg

And of course, there is the end vise for smaller boards or whatever. The dogs are from Veritas and are height adjustable.

image.jpg

Some build details here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTo ... ekend.html

Hope this is useful.

Regards from Perth

Derek

The important feature here for you is the the Moxon vise for dovetailing ...

image.jpg

Hi Derek, many thanks for this. I was informed that the original Steve Latta design that he submitted for publication had a moxon, and seeing yours here too, I think I will try and build one into mine.

There is a stop for smoothing longer boards ...

image.jpg

OH! I could build this into the far end, I love the simple adjustment method.

Hope this is useful. Regards from Perth. Derek

Very! TYVMI :)

DigitalM":6lrcmwmt said:
Graham Orm":6lrcmwmt said:
This is superb and can be used on top of a piece of furniture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFAxqs_-JCY

Hi Graham, that does look awesome, although I think it leans more towards power tools? I see he has plane stops and all manner of clamps though. I saw this earlier in my own research looking for table top workbenches but maybe I dismissed this out of hand too quickly. Thanks.

I've replicated it and carry it in the van, where he has the 90 degree corner I've fitted a piano hinge. If you have clamps that work through the holes you can clamp anything to it, long boards, ply sheets etc.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/triton-ttswc ... pack/9223r

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-tr ... p-ax954939

Nicely done Digital! That looks very clean and tidy, and good use of the material.

Back