Notes on Wentwood Timber @ Chepstow

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
I am putting together a table of timber yards, with information from members who have actually visited the yards. Can you please help with information about Wentwood Timber? You can see the timber yards that are already included in the timber yard link below.

Are they hobby friendly?

Can you self-select or is it by appointment?

Will they deliver?

Do they have online ordering?

Are prices displayed at the yard?

Do they sell domestic hardwoods?

Do they sell other hardwoods?

Do they sell softwoods?

Do they sell manufactured boards?

Do they sell turning blanks?

Are they a one-man-band or a small, medium or large yard?

Will they cut to length to fit in your vehicle?

Do you have any comments?

Thanks for your help,
Neil

NB I am trying to get the information from people who have actually visited the yards, not just their web sites.

Are they hobby friendly? Yes

Can you self-select or is it by appointment? Self select

Will they deliver? Not as far as I know, can't see any reference on their website

Do they have online ordering? No

Are prices displayed at the yard? Eveything is individually priced

Do they sell domestic hardwoods? Yes

Do they sell other hardwoods? No

Do they sell softwoods? Larch cladding from stock, softwood is in a separate area and not set up for browsing.

Do they sell manufactured boards? No

Do they sell turning blanks? Yes , but not a huge stock.

Are they a one-man-band or a small, medium or large yard? Generally only one person on duty, to take the money and answer questions

Will they cut to length to fit in your vehicle? No, take your own saw. Machining service available if ordering in quantity.

Do you have any comments? Timber is grouped by species for browsing and self selection.

transatlantic":2u9kdgmw said:
You could just phone them and ask?

The reason for not doing that is that I am trying to get the information from people who have actually visited the yards.

Blockplane put their name forward and was kind enough to provide information about them.

Neil

Blockplane":ubyqs1vx said:
Are they a one-man-band or a small, medium or large yard? Generally only one person on duty, to take the money and answer questions

Will they cut to length to fit in your vehicle? No, take your own saw. Machining service available if ordering in quantity.
I visited once and agree all your comments Blockplane except to add that it's quite a large yard (though one person's on duty, as you say), and I was told earlier this year they'd machine a small quantity for me at £30/ hour.

Personally I'd say they're a 'small' yard. Bit of a fiddle to find, but it's an excellent yard. Lots of interesting wood and Gavin the owner is a really nice guy.

Purchased timber from them several times.Gavin is friendly and helpful and always up for a deal.All timber is air dried so no good for immediate use for indoor work.Last time I visited ( March 2021) very little stock which is pain after a two hour trip.Would definitely visit and buy again.

Back