Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been nagged by the MIL for quite some time to make her a box so with her 80th approaching I thought I'd make her a couple.

L to R: Sycamore (from their garden) and Iroko, Rosewood (reclaimed) and burr oak, sycamore and american black walnut.

The wife has dibs on the rosewood/oak but the other two will be pressies.

SC02318 (Medium).JPG[/attachment]

Attachments

• DSC02318 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02318 (Medium).JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 352
  • DSC02319 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02319 (Medium).JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 352
stuartpaul":1rz9y451 said:
I've been nagged by the MIL for quite some time to make her a box so with her 80th approaching I thought I'd make her a couple.

L to R: Sycamore (from their garden) and Iroko, Rosewood (reclaimed) and burr oak, sycamore and american black walnut.

Those look really nice indeed. Are the legs fixed in any way other than glue (eg mini mortice & tenon) ? Also I see no hinges, how did you do that?

I'd be interested in the whole build process if you have the time.

ScaredyCat":9jcxn8m6 said:
stuartpaul":9jcxn8m6 said:

Those look really nice indeed. Are the legs fixed in any way other than glue (eg mini mortice & tenon) ? Also I see no hinges, how did you do that?

I'd be interested in the whole build process if you have the time.

+1
and preferably in a new thread of its own so we can find it easily in the future :)

Nice work on those boxes StuartPaul, I'd also be interested in how they're joined at the corners.

I completed this at the weekend for "Her Indoors"
We decorated the conservatory a few weeks back and wanted something to hide a treadmill we keep in there.

The timber is BnQ's finest clear pine (please don't shoot me!). Joinery is all mortise and tenon with captive grooves holding 6mm MDF panels covered in wallpaper.
Finish is mahogany coloured Danish oil, 4 coats.

I am quite pleased with the result, it is certainly better than seeing the treadmill anyway!

Screen.JPG

Attachments

• Screen.JPG
    Screen.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 239
made an acoustic panel for my recording/home studio, it will be going on the ceiling at some point, I experimented with draw bore pins in this case they were really useful,

for the inner frame it's all lap joints, pinned to the outer frame with nails, the design is my own, I wanted something that looked like Japanese Shojii, I've got three more to make at some point.

Attachments

• Ceiling_Trap_255K-1.jpg
    Ceiling_Trap_255K-1.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 151
  • Ceiling_Trap_255K-2.jpg
    Ceiling_Trap_255K-2.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 151
  • Ceiling_Trap_255K-3.jpg
    Ceiling_Trap_255K-3.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 151
The more I look the more I notice Doris. That's exquisite. The planes, the binding on the books, the legvice. Blooming Legvice! Dogholes! :shock: The The tiny gold pint mugs. It really is quite exceptional. (My absolute favourite is the Robot. :D ) Gave me a big smile. Many thanks for sharing. I'm in absolute awe of your patience and eyesight.
Hope you're well and well done again. Amazing in the best and true sense of the word. Incredible work. =D>
Chris

Edit: My Mrs just walked past and loves it too. x (hammer)

DSCN2399.JPG
DSCN2398.JPG
DSCN2397.JPG
DSCN2402.JPG

Bowl in sapele (filthy stuff). Inside and endgrain dyed with Morrell's orange dye. The underside finished then hot melt glued to scrap. Fiddes hard wax oil. Ill give it some m/c tomorrow. I was going to curve the sides inwards fromcorner to corner, but I'd have had to use the freestanding rest, which is impractical at the moment. Lopping the corners allowed me to work from just outboard of the bed. Done for tomorrow night's club TOTY competition - anything decorated.

Attachments

• DSCN2397.JPG
    DSCN2397.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 438
  • DSCN2398.JPG
    DSCN2398.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 439
  • DSCN2399.JPG
    DSCN2399.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 439
  • DSCN2402.JPG
    DSCN2402.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 438
I like that, my sort of thing; useful too, change bowl or key bowl perhaps?
I do like a smooth bottom when appropriate, I usually resort to an opening that I can grip directly with taped jaws. Did you have any difficulty removing hot glue residue?

Yes - a "life bowl" - it'd be good for that. The wooden mounting disc was faceplate mounted and stuck to the other side first, then I finished the bottom to 240 grit, marked it with several concentric circles so it could be centred (because of the design it would have looked horrible if uneven) and stuck in three places with 2" lines of hot melt. I cut through the hot melt as best I could without taking chances then softened it with isopropyl and just rubbed it gently until it peeled off. I didn't polish it first, as for one I didn't want to take the chance on the adhesion and for two I suspected slight damage and therefore subsequent refinishing - this transpired to be unnecessary, a gentle steaming and a brief rub with 240 was enough. It looks as if there are scratches or tears across the bottom, but they're tricks of the light. The bottom is about 4mm or 5mm hollow to try to avoid its rocking, it's about 14" across, so maybe a good example of why a chuck isn't an absolute necessity (I do have one).

Back