Ideas please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickyhb

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I want to make some fishing lures from wood. Initially I need to cut the wood into a shape (roughly) of a small fish. A bandsaw would be ideal, but I'll have to make do with a jig saw. If I buy an electric one, what is the best thing to hold it in for cutting.

I'm a complete novice to wood work, but see that the blade would cut into the work bench if it was not high enough. Is there something you can buy to raise the wood up while keeping it fixed firmly?

Hope you all understand what I mean.

Thanks.

For something that small I'd be looking at a cheap scroll saw.

I reckon a jigsaw might be a bit brutal, especially as the lures will be a job to hold onto whilst cutting.

Also, compound cutting would give you a more 3D fish shape to work with... which is nice and easy to do with a scroll saw.

Naz.

Just looked a one, perfect, perfect buddy. I can get one for about £70 so thats doable. Much better than a band saw.

Thanks again.

how big are they? Are they for yourself or for sale? how many are you making?

you could use the edge of a workmate and a hand clamp to do it on the cheap. If you had to reposition once or twice to save hitting the clamp, then do so.

Off topic, but I'd say those bench grinder/linisher combo's in Aldi would be handy,
I have been toying with the idea of cutting my old 6" beltsander belts into strips and gluing
belts up for a half working 3 wheeler bandsaw for small things.
I'm not advising you should go out and buy one of those carp saws though.
I think Felder have sander accessories and belts for the large bandsaws, so it's not just the three wheelers
that can do it.
I'd agree with above, a bandsaw would prove useful for cutting stuff like you describe

Robbo, That looks ideal as I can use the saw for other things portable? May well get that and then buy a jig saw.

Marcos, You're right, just a few for me, but I'm looking to get some tools together for general woodwork stuff at home!

Guys, really helpful and have opened my eyes to what is available, thanks all.

Phil. What has a glue gun to do with things please?

Richard.

Marcos. I take it you have to remove the guard on the bottom of any jig saw, to make it work in that holder you suggested?

dickyhb":16vfxsrg said:
What has a glue gun to do with things please?

Hot-glue a small piece of wood to a larger piece of wood to save your fingers.

Back