Rutlands plunge saw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say that is a the same as the scheppach saw -there are some reviews online.

Ive got the bigger saw -its quite good for the money, but no festool.

It does work as intended, just a bit rough around the edges.

I've got the Titan from screwfix. Did some ply shelves for my new shed in a jiffy.

The only downside about the titan is poor dust extraction. Even when hooked up to a record DX1000, there is still a lot of dust not vacuumed. For the price i paid (£99) I am more than happy with it though.

Looks awfully similar to my Parkside (lidl) saw. I have said it here before but I love mine and for the price it was a stonking bargain.

It looks similar to a lot of cheap track saws out there, its arrived, but have not unpacked it yet, will post when it gets some use.

Mike

Looks an awful lot like the lidl. I have another of the Titan,Triton , Makita track saw clones and really rate it. The scribe function is great. Dust collection isnt great but doubt it will be on any machine under £350

Out of interest, did it come with a 1400mm rail or 2x700s ? Just curious as the Screwfix Titan comes with 2x700s, but they’re weirdly thick, so can’t readily be joined to Makita or Festool rails.

Came with two 700's have no idea if they will join to any other track, if you give me an idea of the thickness I can put my vernier onto one and let you know.

Mike

I found out yesterday that my 48" Makita rails are definitely not a good idea for a 50" cut. I'm now seriously thinking about getting another 3m rail and cutting it into useful shorter sizes...

700mm sounds a bit daft, TBH, if that's the longest single length you can get for them. Yes it would be handy on a cutting table, but I bought the thing primarily for breaking down sheet goods (which is why I have a 3m rail). It's the one task they excel at.

Good value for money is one thing, but there comes a point where you have to say, "that's just bonkers!" and walk away. And in any case you can easily make a wooden sled for short cuts (so you don't need a rail at all). It's long cuts that are awkward to do without one.

Dons flameproof suit, ducks and runs...

E.

PS: I can't speak to Festool rails, but when they were brand new, my Makita 1.4m rails (48") joined fairly well for 96" cuts (lengthways on 8'x4' sheets). Normal rough handling in use means they are no longer dead flat - that's OK for using one at a time, but they no longer join nicely, and I try never to use the joining bars any more as it is such a nuisance (if I had a quid for every cut with a bump in it somewhere...).

PPS: Looking at the "diagram" it's amusing that Rutlands seem to think the motor is fitted somewhere up in the dust extraction port :)

Two at 700mm equals 1400mm perfect for cutting a 1200 wide board, so not bonkers in any way, it also allows the rails to be stored easily.

What is bonkers is trying to cut 50" with a 48" rail. #-o

Mike

MikeJhn":1tdjouur said:
Two at 700mm equals 1400mm perfect for cutting a 1200 wide board, so not bonkers in any way, it also allows the rails to be stored easily.
No, it's just stupid. If you have that arrangement, see what you think of it after having struggled with it for a while...

What is bonkers is trying to cut 50" with a 48" rail. #-o
Yes, well, that was rather my point: you can't "probably just about get away with it." I'm old enough to know better, too.

If it is the same as the parkside then the tracks will join onto a festool track with no problem. I have done this with mine.

petermillard":3fd7d40w said:
Out of interest, did it come with a 1400mm rail or 2x700s ? Just curious as the Screwfix Titan comes with 2x700s, but they’re weirdly thick, so can’t readily be joined to Makita or Festool rails.

You can use the Triton rails peter. But ive been told that for some reason the 700mm ones won't join with the 1.5m ones. I bought another clone that came with a 1m rail and that joined to the Triton 1.5m rails no problem.

The Triton rails have the anti tipping slot cast in. May also work with makita rails but i cant confirm that

having bought a 3200mm rail for making sound proof doors at 85mm thick it was brilliant investment as wrestling those 100kg bad boys onto the panel saw would have made my piles hurt! with years of trying i have never managed to join two 1400 rails together flawlessly, on a full sheet rip i would always find a .5mm +/- bulge in the middle of the sheet. which dont sound like much but when butting together 18mm birch ply for finished walls it was a real problem! But its a pain to transport as with a bulkhead in my van gatting anything over 2800mm in the back is not possible!

Paired with the excellent hk 85 it was a match made in heaven! but as the doors where so thick i actually just ran the saw along the backside of the rail as i would have lost 5mm by using it on the track as intended!

adidat

I have now used the Rutlands plunge saw to cut down the 1200 side of some plywood, the tracks joined perfectly and the whole operation was smooth and accurate, what more can I say.

Mike

Back