Elektra Beckum HC 260k spare parts\ capacitor needed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackbright90

Established Member
Reaction score
As the title says. I have just bought a second hand Elektra Beckum HC 260k. This is the first time using it and about 30 mins into thicknessing there was an electrical smell and a bit of smoke. I turned it off and looked underneath to find one of the capacitors have blown. I have tried to find the exact one but I can't find it. I have looked on metabo' website and it does list one for the metabo machine but that only seems to have 1 capacitor where as the EB machine has 2. Can you replace it with a higher UF rating? I can't seem to find the correct one to replace it. Thanks in advance

What value is it the uF and voltage?

Ebay or Maplins usually have one that will work.

Pete

Are you sure of that number? its quite big.
If you are sure, capacitors are easily available from any electrical wholesaler, washing machine repairs shop, or even ebay.

That number seems odd as well, capacitors come in preferred values the two (E6) values around that are 33 and 47, there is no preferred value 375 even in the higher decades. Sorry too many years in electronics!

Here's One Source

Is it a Run or Start capacitor, if in doubt get one that is run rated.

A rough Guide to run capacitor values, a Start Only capacitor may be somewhat bigger to give a short sharp boost of current.
capacitors2_.jpg

Attachments

• capacitors2_.jpg
    capacitors2_.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 286
Yes i think its u f 37.5 its off the main motor. I believe its a start up capacitor? There was 2 and this is the smaller of the 2? Ill attach some pictures. Will this be the cause of the smoke? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_1966.JPG
    IMG_1966.JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1965.JPG
    IMG_1965.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 106
Hi - you can find a replacement on this website (call out no. 316 in the diagram I looked at under the Metabo heading) that does Metabo/EB Spares. I think it's a start/run capacitor (i.e. continuously part of the circuit):

https://www.mtmc.co.uk/Spare-Parts__c-p-0-0-240.aspx

Their price is £26 which seems a bit steep (vs Maplin price of about £10 for one which is not identical) but you may prefer to have a "proper" spare part.

Hope this works. Have you been running it off a long extension cable? I've had problems with induction motors like this is such situations.

Cheers, W2S

Woody2Shoes":xmhantsw said:
Hi - you can find a replacement on this website (call out no. 316 in the diagram I looked at under the Metabo heading) that does Metabo/EB Spares. I think it's a start/run capacitor (i.e. continuously part of the circuit):

Their price is £26 which seems a bit steep (vs Maplin price of about £10 for one which is not identical) but you may prefer to have a "proper" spare part.

Hope this works. Have you been running it off a long extension cable? I've had problems with induction motors like this is such situations.

Cheers, W2S

The only thing with that diagram, it shows as there is only 1 capacitor by the motor where as mine has 2? Would this make so much of a difference?

Would you be able to point me in the direction of the maplin one please? I can only find up to uf30?

I dont know if its been run off an extension as i bought it second hand and this was the first time using it.

Thanks Jack

Jackbright90":1mnfu78u said:
Woody2Shoes":1mnfu78u said:

Cheers, W2S

The only thing with that diagram, it shows as there is only 1 capacitor by the motor where as mine has 2? Would this make so much of a difference?

>> I think you need to find the diagram that exactly matches the name plate details of your machine - there seem to be several different versions of the HC260K. Based on the diagrams I've seen, and on my younger version of the same machine, I'm baffled by why you would have two capacitors (I guess one would be for starting and one for continuous running but this seems unlikely in this case unless someone's been "customising" your machine). If you can trace out the wiring and post a diagram this might help. What are the markings on the other capacitor?

Would you be able to point me in the direction of the maplin one please? I can only find up to uf30?

>> That's why I said it's not identical. There's a 5% or so tolerance value on these things (which amounts to a couple of uF either way) 30uF would probably work, but would not be ideal. RS also do loads of them, including a 35uF one at about £11 which looks just the job: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/passive-c ... apacitors/

I dont know if its been run off an extension as i bought it second hand and this was the first time using it.

Thanks Jack

Latest posts

Back