Disc sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinlightfoot

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the Record 12 inch disc sander I have been considering building one myself but at 230 pounds I don't know if it's worth it,my question is are they any good?

I retired from teaching this summer. I had one in my school workshop for the last 3 or 4 years. I was unhappy with the location of the switch so blanked this off and had a switch to the left of the machine on the bench top.
Table tilt, locking stability was good and the sander had enough power to not stall or slow down noticeably when abused.
Build quality was good and showed no signs of wear. It stood up well to daily use without any concerns.
The only problem was the dust outlet port used to get blocked as it had a plastic grill in it to stop larger bits getting pulled into the extractor. If it was mine I'd have cut the grill out.
I would happily buy one if/when my own home workshop machine dies. At £200 I think they represent good value.
http://www.recordpower-thetoolshop.com/ ... ander.html

Colin

Thanks very much for the information chaps,I think I will go with the Record sander I quite like the look of the cast iron table and the price is also not too bad.

I've been looking at getting a new one too. Think i will also go with the Record. Have quite a bit of their stuff and the price/quality equation is good i think. Decent company to deal with as well if things do go wrong.

I had a Record 12" disc sander for a while, it was an excellent machine apart from one killer problem, changing the abrasive was a massive faff. Record might have amended the design now, but on the one I had the table couldn't easily be shunted away from the disc to give a decent sized gap.

Worth checking before you buy.

Thanks Custard I will watch out for that,these are the kind of things people forget to mention but will make a big difference when making a choice.

The other thing you want to think about is velcro or self adhesive discs? If you're a hobbyist load up with a fairly coarse grit (say 80-120), be disciplined about cleaning with one of those sandpaper cleaning blocks, and then disc changing is probably a once a year job. But if you want to cycle through grits (you might think you will, but in reality hardly anyone ever does), or if you're a heavier user, then you'll be changing abrasive discs regularly.

Self adhesive is a faff. Heat gun, then acetone or lacquer thinner, then isopropyl to remove the residue, lots of rags and waiting for things to dry/cool, then on with the new disc.

By comparison velcro is super fast and convenient.

Problem is velcro can dub over the edges of the workpiece, only very slightly, but for critical operations any dubbing is too much.

You pays your money and you makes your choice.

Disc changing is a faff on any machine unless you use velcro. I have avoided these discs as I'm tight.
To remove old disc I use a craft [stanley] knife and cut across centre line of disc. A 25mm chisel is then used to scrape the disc clean, taking about 5/10 minutes. I have never used a solvent to clean the surface as the bond the new disc makes on such a clean surface makes it far worse to remove when needed.
To fit the new self adhesive disc vacumn the area clean. Carefully slice through the waxed backing paper across centre line and remove 1/2 of the backing. Without removing the table slide the waxed1/2 down the gap between table and disc. Line up the top half and press into place onto the disc. Spin the disc 180 degrees, remove the wax backing and press into place.

Colin

Thanks again,I wouldn't class myself as a hobbyist,but I am in the fortunate position whereI don't need to make my living solely from woodworking and I don't mind spending time to change discs etc. Ithink I will go down the Velcro road as I do like to go through the grits.

I built one using a makita 14 inch chop saw, remove the guard etc and fit a 12 inch diameter 18 mm thick MDF using a long 10 mm bolt and assorted nuts and washers . I cut the bolt head into the MDF to stop it spinning . Once this was done I built a tool rest and trued in the MDF with a rasp and some 60 grit abrasive .spins with a tiny amount of vibration and works very well l used the sticky back 12 inch discs. Easy if you have an old chop saw.
Tony

..I spent ages looking for a disk or disk/belt sander. Eventually I took a friends advise that has got the 300mm record and got one. I have not been disappointed it's a great bit of kit and well worth the money. I did consider the cheaper Charnwood, but much prefer the cast iron base. I would certainly buy the same again, (although hopefully I wont need to as the record seems very robust).

If you can get to one of the many "shows" they normally retail at these for 200 notes..

NB you will need a small set square to "guarantee" the base is 90% rather than rely on the rack and pinion scale, (although it is "reasonably" accurate)...and I would imaging most people take the right hand "half cover" off from day one...but if you do be wary..it can bite!!

I have an Axminster Trade one that I don't need. If you're interested, I'm willing to sell it.

Forgot to add that the Record is £199.99 at Machine Mart at the moment, if anyone is thinking of buying one.

I see that you are both in Warwick Keith, so if niagra is looking to move it on, it would make sense for you to have it. I'm quite happy to get the Record from MM.

Back