Advice on what lathe to replace my old Coronet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I don't think you can go far wrong with either a graduate or a viceroy, but as has been said, do make sure you have a complete one because accessories are stupid money. The graduate headstock is based on a column of cast iron, whereas the viceroy is sheet steel, although still solid. I can't see much to choose between the cast iron beds or the tailstocks, again both are solid although the viceroy has lateral adjustment as in a metal lathe. The banjo on the graduate is adjusted from the front whilst the viceroy is adjusted by loosening a lever underneath the bed which is less convenient but no big deal. Both have 3MT Headstock fittings, graduate has. 2MT tailstock bore whilst the viceroy has 3MT.
I think the main differences really are (1) the price, the graduate has the disadvantage of being dearer to buy but probably easier to sell on if that ever becomes an issue. And (2) the headstock threads - the viceroy has an unusual outboard thread. The graduate has the same 1 1/2 x 6 on both sides so in my case I can just unscrew my (dual threaded) chuck from one side and reposition the other side without removing the work from the chuck.
So overall in my own highly personal opinion, I would buy a graduate if funds allow, otherwise a viceroy. This is not to say that the other makes out there should be shunned, it's just that I have no experience of them. Others may be able to give comparisons.
Finally, do check out the really excellent site lathes.co for detailed specifications on just about any lathe you can mention.

K

Hi Keith
Sorry not to reply before now.

Just bit the bullet and bought a graduate shortbed which I should be collecting Wednesday.
It has multiple faceplates, 2 chucks, various centres, over 20 gouges/scrapers ( some Sorby ) and what looks like a fairly new rotary sander by Sorby. It is 240v which suits me at present. Funds permitting I may go variable speed at a later date.

Thanks for yours and everyones advice.

Regards Tim

Back