modify x y table slots

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
I have got a x y table for my drill
the bolt holes in the drill table are m10 and fixed position so I cant change that
I was never going to find a table that fitted perfect, but it turns out that I only need to gain about 2mm in the slots
it is cast iron
do I take a round file to it? or should I attempt to drill out the slot?

I not very good with metal items

Steve

If you can find model engineering group near you, try them. There is a model railway club near me. One of their machinists does various little jobs for me. Only costs couple of quid, interesting chap to talk to.

phil.p":zzh7059x said:
Use smaller bolts?

it is pre-drilled (not really a table tbh) it is a big cast iron base with 4 bolt holes
and the xy table has slots but are just a nats to narrow
worse case i could put a steel\wood sandwich under it and have different spacing

Steve

pollys13":260unlok said:
If you can find model engineering group near you, try them. There is a model railway club near me. One of their machinists does various little jobs for me. Only costs couple of quid, interesting chap to talk to.
Quite a few model engineers (not all) have limited woodwork skills/equipment. This can be mutually beneficial. :D

BugBear

Cast iron is (generally) easy to file with a coarse file. If there's enough meat there to allow it, and no ribs etc in the way, I'd just do that. Any chance of a photo or two so we can see exactly where the problem is?

Phil P had the answer I just was not thinking straight
use smaller bolts
just because i have threaded holes i dont have to use them
I just dropped some m8 bolts through with nuts and washers

will do for now unless they slip

Steve

If smaller bolts won't do, then I agree with DTR - a file should do the job quite easily, UNLESS there are any strengthening ribs, etc, cast into the underside. Just as DTR says, cast iron is generally surprisingly soft (against a file).

AES

Back