On light duties

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Eric. I had an afternoon at a local beer festival yesterday, I took it very steady beer wise. Good company and good beer :) I find the hardest bit of recovery is boredom, threads like Dalboy's half track build can soak up a couple of hours and are very welcome.

I'm finding lots to do now that doesn't involve lots of effort, I have to keep the revs down for 6 weeks. I have some stores to order for beer making, a stout and an IPA me thinks and we are in the middle of building an extension so I have stores to order for that too. I'm slowly tidying the workshop and planning to finish of a bit of wood carving. That lots should keep my busy for a couple of weeks or so without tiring me out.

Thanks Devonwoody

I had a walk across the moors yesterday with the dog to a nice little pub where the beer was absolutely gorgeous, maybe because I haven't had any for a while but even so it was on form =P~

I went to Todmorden market last week, I never get to go on a Thursday as I'm working, I usually go on a Sunday and it is full of tat. But Thursday was much better. I didn't have much time to rummage but the two large chisels on the top of the photo below screamed buy me, a tenner for the pair which is probably a bit steep for the market but a fraction of ebay price.

The bottom two I found in my dad's tools, he used them as gasket scrapers, looking at new ash handles they cost as much as the chisels I bought at the market so may wait until I have my lathe set up or come across some at a market

P1060502.jpg

The big one is John Bull Hearnshaw Sheffield, in the others there is a Marples, the other two I have to identify yet, they are all cast steel from Sheffield.

I'm easing myself back into my hobbies slowly :)

Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• P1060502.jpg
    P1060502.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 357
I have a back to work date, 23rd September. I'm still on some drugs but most of the important pituitary functions have come back, the rest may do later, if not I'll be on a couple of once a day replacement drugs. Far better than going blind!

Cheers
Andy

Imagine if you'd built that router table and then couldnt see it!

Good news is always good news. Dont fret too much if daily drugs are in your future. I know a man who is kept fully alive and active because of daily drugs. We were actually planning his funeral 12 years ago before the docs got the correct medicines for him.

Cheers Bob

A mate of mine revealed to me that he had a similar condition to me in his twenties but the tumour killed his pituitary so he's been on a cocktail of drugs ever since, I wouldn't have known unless he told me.

Apart from sight coming back, I've nearly finished the mammoth workshop clear up and I can now see the workshop floor :)

Cheers
Andy

Well done FJ. Keep at it mate!

I think there are several members here who have to rely on a daily drugs "cocktail" to a greater or lesser extent, myself included, although I don't think my problems are anything like as bad as yours.

I found that once the initial shock of daily dosing wears off, a few morning, evening, and night tabs soon becomes an unremarkable habit which is just part of "life's rich pleasures"!

The main thing is that you can get to at least "more or less" where you once were, carrying on leading a normal life in and out of the shop.

All the best mate - it's nothing to be ashamed of, it happens to the best of us!!!!

Good luck, and let's see some stuff off that excellent router table as soon as you're able.

(And can I have 1st dibs on your mill as soon as you like?)

AES :) :) :)

Thanks AES :)

Which mill was that? I have three now :oops: They seem to breed!

Postage may be a bit steep to your neck of the woods!

Cheers
Andy

Thanks guys, my mum is always saying stuff like "I can't go out as I have to get a repeat prescription" etc.

As Indiana Jones has failed to get an appointment to see my GP and you have to go in person to pick up repeat prescriptions from the health centre, no postage/email etc. I have set up an account with an online pharmacy so all he has to do is push the prescription to them and they deliver it - in theory. I can't drive for 6 months (assumption, awaiting for DVLA panel to come back with their decision) and we live in the sticks this should help. I will have to try and see him occasionally to go over the prescription, I think he's available on leap years when there's a leap second.

So far, in the whole 4 month saga, I have spoke to him once on the phone, and that was after a 10 day wait! I'm going to leverage the companies private healthcare to get the endocrinologist to send the prescriptions required to my GP so all he has to do is push it onto the system. That won't work for ever as the insurance people will want closure but should for a while.

If the above works smoothly I shall parade naked through the town with a pet shark on a lead reciting Spike Milligan poems!

FJ, you wrote, QUOTE: Which mill was that? I have three now :oops: They seem to breed! Postage may be a bit steep to your neck of the woods! UNQUOTE:

I thought it was "just" two, but if they breed, then how about just a baby (my shop's NOT a palace like yours)? :D

As to postage, simple, you can deliver mate - I'll happily give you some Swiss choccies for your good lady!

AES :D

Edit for a P.S. Sorry to hear about the more serious problems with quacks and prescriptions, I hope you can get that one solved - at least semi-permanently. Fortunately we don't have such problems here (I've heard similar stories from other UK-based friends and relations). It's a really very sad state of affairs, and not at all like it was when I left UK permanently in the '80s. But I do NOT want to get into the "it's all better here" syndrome, NOR into the "politics" (it shouldn't be anything to do with politics anyway). But I digress.

IF/WHEN you do your naked parade through the town, don't forget the unwritten the Forum rule - no pic, it didn't happen! :D

Seriously, all the best with it mate.

AES

AES":3e2q4dm9 said:
FJ, you wrote, QUOTE: Which mill was that? I have three now :oops: They seem to breed! Postage may be a bit steep to your neck of the woods! UNQUOTE:

I thought it was "just" two, but if they breed, then how about just a baby (my shop's NOT a palace like yours)? :D

As to postage, simple, you can deliver mate - I'll happily give you some Swiss choccies for your good lady!

AES :D

Edit for a P.S. Sorry to hear about the more serious problems with quacks and prescriptions, I hope you can get that one solved - at least semi-permanently. Fortunately we don't have such problems here (I've heard similar stories from other UK-based friends and relations). It's a really very sad state of affairs, and not at all like it was when I left UK permanently in the '80s. But I do NOT want to get into the "it's all better here" syndrome, NOR into the "politics" (it shouldn't be anything to do with politics anyway). But I digress.

IF/WHEN you do your naked parade through the town, don't forget the unwritten the Forum rule - no pic, it didn't happen! :D

Seriously, all the best with it mate.

AES

Thanks AES

My third is an old Warco mill/drill. Only fit for occasional milling but the x/y table makes it a superb pillar drill. Its a bench top model so ideal for the smallerr workshop.;)

The kids enjoy getting the magnetic swarf wand out and cleaning it for me. ;)

Cheers
Andy

Jonzjob":15iec92j said:
Hi Andy, I have only just found this mate and I am so pleased tor ead about your improvment, and discipline!! That's the hard part init :shock: the discipline.

Good also to hear that the workshop really does have a floor! :mrgreen:

Keep up the good work and get better properly, good luck!

Thanks JJ

Now I've discovered the workshop floor I just have to do tidy the barn, brewery, store room, office and outbuildings. I may be a while.......

Latest posts

Back