Drill Press Spindle repair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
finally...i nearly gave up
I have the quill out of my drill
the taper is poor condition to say the least
is it repairable \ replaceable ?
if so by who or where please?

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_2557.JPG
    IMG_2557.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,003
  • IMG_2558.JPG
    IMG_2558.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 998
  • IMG_2559.JPG
    IMG_2559.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 1,001
  • IMG_2560.JPG
    IMG_2560.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,000
I see....it seems to have a male taper. A strange design indeed. I have never seen such a design before. All drillpresses I have ever seen or used have a female taper in the spindle.
That makes the problem a bit more severe though not disastruously severe.

I would remove the spindle from the quill and bring it to a motor rebuild shop where they grind crankshafts and the like. The spindle should be possible to set up in such a grinder and regrind.
You also need to bring them a chuck so they can check that the newly ground taper doesn't bottom out in the chuck.

The big question is whether there is enough material in the taper to facilitate a regrind.
If it is too bent I would consider turning a new spindle. Only a machinist with access to metal lathe and either a milling machine or a shaper can do that.

I decided to replace drill rather than repair
I wonder wether to put back together as a sander or put out for scrapman

Steve

is it weddings or fobco? if weddings, it could be a good source of spares that are now obsolete from Meddings. Fobco, I expect the same, but I have no experience with that.

it is a wandess (whatton & sons)
pretty sure is a rare beast and would struggle to find another one
the motor may be of use to someone i guess
Steve

Back