Aubert Pattern Secateurs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolith

Established Member
Reaction score
Seen secateurs of this nice looking pattern go by on eBay a few times, always been tempted but never enough to fork out the usual £10-15 asking price + postage. Fortunately last week a friend at the car boot sold me these for a pound!

They have since been wire brushed, buffed, sharpened and oiled. I also had to file a step into the locking level for it to work... don't know why it stopped working (staying locked) in the first place, nothing seem to have worn or moved enough to account for it. Anyway, this solution worked well.

Aubert Pattern Secateurs by Rhyolith, on Flickr

I have tried sharpening one blade to clean sharp edge and the other with a bur, this seems to have worked exceedlying well as they comfortably go through 1cm thick branches. Though the build quality probably helps!

Seems like the french came up with this design (or at least produced it first) in 1925 and then a Sheffield made English variant appeared in the mid 1930s. http://www.oldgardentools.co.uk/catablo ... ecateurs-a Several brands had subtly different versions of them, with C.T. Skelton seeming the most prolific (at least on google images!).

I cannot make out the brand on these, only "Aubert". I think the smaller stamp says "Forged", then something else as there is to much space in the arc design, think there was another word ending in "N"... Think the bottom word is "Sheffield"

If anyone can decipher anymore of it, I will be impressed! Click on the image to see high res version.

I was going to blow it up in Photoshop, but... ''The owner has disabled downloading of their photos'' on Flickr.

I think I can see the word OUTILS (French for tools) in capital letters, getting progressively smaller, before the word AUBERT.
Nice find, and much better than they sell in Poundland!

NazNomad":i3zr33va said:
I was going to blow it up in Photoshop, but... ''The owner has disabled downloading of their photos'' on Flickr.
Can't do anything about that from my tablet I don't think. You should be able to blow it up pretty big in Flickr.

Latest posts

Back