Microwaving wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ant-h83

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have looked around the net about microwaving wet wood for turning with many conflicting answers, does it work and if it does how do I go about it, see I have very little storage space for a woodpile and a ready supply of tons of fresh cut logs, just trying to make it a bit more efficient, cheers all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It dries it very quickly but be very careful as last time I was drying a sample I set it on fire! Smoke alarms and flames, the lot.

Beau":2zkycakv said:
It dries it very quickly but be very careful as last time I was drying a sample I set it on fire!

Ditto. Luckily, I was doing it outside.

Never done it but I heard it has to be done on defrost in small blasts checking in between for stability in weight.

I did try once and gave up and not for the reasons above. I had to spend so much time watching and going back to the microwave. All the faffing about i could be doing other things. I now either cut into a blank and seal then stack in stick but that will take a few years or if I want something quicker rough turn and seal the outside again stacking in stick so they have good air circulation. But then I have my wood stored in two sheds.
Which reminds me I have some logs to prepare into blanks either to leave to dry once cut or rough turn.
On the odd occasion I have rough turned left for a couple of months then hidden one in the airing cupboard and keep fingers crossed this does dry them quickly.
Whichever method I choose I weigh them and check at intervals to see if they have equalised

Cheers, I think il give it a go, I'm not too fussed about bowl blanks as can store a few of them in our small utility room but iv been knocking up some Christmas trees and snowmen for the schools Christmas fair and they want more than I originally thought.
I don't want the school selling them then they end up splitting and as they have some depth they will obviously take a lot longer to dry, on the plus side fresh wood is amazingly satisfying to turn
Il try not to set light to anything haha cheers guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have done it in the past but never even contemplate it these days despite having a spare microwave in the shed.
Works OK on small pieces but time consuming not doing anything constructive, short time length blasts to bring the wood to steam heat (too hot to handle) wait for it to cool right down and moisture migrate and evaporate, re-heat and repeat until moisture level is driven out. Sit it on a shelf for a few days to acclimatise.

Expect warps, cracks, scorches, fires and dimension changes after turning if not acclimatised.

Having indulged in most of the cooking, soaking, boiling, alcohol, soap, stabilisers, pressure cooking etc. came to realise it's best left for nature to do the job and spend efforts producing shavings.
Does mean a wood store though, which you seem to lack.

I've built a wood burning drying kiln in my garden. It's made of fire bricks then block then natural stone. Inside the main chamber I've put a metal bin where the wood to dry goes. Around this I build my small fire and off it goes drying away. I take the lid off and allow it to get wet then dry it again. It's done over many firings but because its small fires around it is a fill light and walk away. I will take some photos and upload them sometime.

Fire_frogs":1dupwceq said:
Never done it but I heard it has to be done on defrost in small blasts checking in between for stability in weight.

+1 and it takes for ever

Back