Makita cordless router/trimmer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been on my radar for a while now as I have a good number of batteries already. I've heard diddlysquat about a release date anywhere other than Oz so far :(

Lots of excitement about it on a woodwork FB page I'm on. Allegedly the UK release date is september.

Thanks. September is not too long to wait. I'm wondering if other manufacturers will follow suit. I already have the small DeWalt router trimmer with a couple of bases. I'd rather not have to switch to Makita. Most likely I'll end up with both!!

ordered mine today from ffx who inform me I will get it monday, prices for doors will be even lower in a month on site when they see you are hanging more.
Paul

slate1234":2lx1h24i said:
ordered mine today from ffx who inform me I will get it monday, prices for doors will be even lower in a month on site when they see you are hanging more.
Paul
The FFX page says November so I'd be interested to hear if you get yours before then!

They’re definitely available in the UK as a chap posted a video of his on Instagram yesterday, looks a handy piece of kit.

Came today will give review at the weekend when I have had chance to use it,
router.jpeg
router.jpeg

Attachments

• router.jpeg
    router.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 2,006
  • router 2.jpeg
    router 2.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,969
UK planet tools in Milton Keynes have them in stock, I had a play with one today.
Bare unit in a case £179.00
I can't see me having a use for a cordless trimmer though

On the whole I would go for cordless over corded for most tools for safety and practicality stakes. However any tool that is likely to have the motor on for any real length of time will have a short battery life. for trimming it will be fine, but prolonged routing life you'll find the 5 minute battery life too short.

To explain, my drills can last anything from 5 minutes to a month without charging. (with 5 Ahr battery) depending on what I'm doing with them. If putting screws in they can last all day or 1/2 a day or a month. If drilling 1 1/2" holes in oak to 6" depth, I'd likely change batteries every 30 odd holes (3 times an hour). If 1 1/2" to 12" depth, about every 5 holes. If I use my battery circular saw it may only do 1 or 2 50mm cuts into 3m of 50mm thick oak, or it could last a week in 9mm OSB.

So for infrequent light use a cordless router is fine, or for higher use, it is fine if you have a bucketful of batteries and a multiple charger. There is no task for which a corded tool is better than a cordless one, apart from that which lasts a long time when you don't have lots of batteries.

There's also dust extraction, which is great when a vac is linked to the router, but not so good when you have to mind to turn said vac on before hitting the Make Dust button ;)

I couldn't see myself pulling out a cordless router over a corded one for that reason unless for quick and dirty routing oportunities. But then the ability to get in to tight spots and get sh*t done is where cordless excels (dust be damned).

Sorry I have taken so long to write a review, I have been using the trimmer for two days on and off, I have been using it with a 4ah battery, I found with the straight base I was getting cramp in my thumb, I was just rounding the front of 18mm mdf and cutting a slot to except 1/2'' ply on the under side I found myself putting it down every 2m to give my hand a rest, Then today I hung 13 half hour fire doors using the plunge base and trend jig, wow at this stage I was blown away the on off switch is light years above the old corded one where if I grabbed it the wrong way quickly I have turned it on in the past, the speed settings are great the light I feel is useless, I would recommend it over the corded one if it where only for the safety of the on off switch, I didn't use the dust extraction so I can't comment on it all the work on the MDF was done outdoors, and a mask for hanging the doors I also cant comment on the battery as I am still using the same 4ah, for now the corded one is in retirement.

slate1234":38dia4fq said:
Sorry I have taken so long to write a review, I have been using the trimmer for two days on and off, I have been using it with a 4ah battery, I found with the straight base I was getting cramp in my thumb, I was just rounding the front of 18mm mdf and cutting a slot to except 1/2'' ply on the under side I found myself putting it down every 2m to give my hand a rest, Then today I hung 13 half hour fire doors using the plunge base and trend jig, wow at this stage I was blown away the on off switch is light years above the old corded one where if I grabbed it the wrong way quickly I have turned it on in the past, the speed settings are great the light I feel is useless, I would recommend it over the corded one if it where only for the safety of the on off switch, I didn't use the dust extraction so I can't comment on it all the work on the MDF was done outdoors, and a mask for hanging the doors I also cant comment on the battery as I am still using the same 4ah, for now the corded one is in retirement.

Glad it's going well, sounds like battery life is good then! Was all that done with just the one charge?

Sounds like a good bit of kit but probably best suited to certain trades and for certain jobs.

Back