Knee Pads

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc_ni

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just fitted a floor and skirting for a friend and I've tried using the knee pads that go into the pockets on my work trousers and found they were never in the correct place. Also have used a set of the Velcro strap on type in the past , can't remember the brand, but found they became very uncomfortable after a short time because the straps would cut into the backs of my legs.

Can anyone recommend some knee pads that aren't more annoying/uncomfortable than kneeling on the floor as I might have another floor in the near future, the things we agree to :roll: :)

I have jobman and carhartt work trousers with built in knee pad pockets, after a bit of trial and error I found some jobman foam inserts which were about £30 and are a real tight fit therefore they don't move around, they have 2 layers of foam which makes them quite firm and I have no issues with them at all.
I'm in the middle of laying 136 sq meters of parquet flooring and spending a lot of time on my knees, my legs ache as I'm a fat person but my knees are fine .
The parquet is going from a hallway into 3 rooms and there are fireplaces and several doorways in each which is getting tedious now, I've asked my client if he'll wave my confidentiality agreement and allow me to post some pictures as it is starting to look totally amazing.

Never had a knee prob until about 15 years ago when I did a lot of plumbing mostly on my knees. Have been vulnerable ever since.
I now have "Dicky" trousers with knee pad pockets. When the supplied ones run out I cut up bits of Karrimat. Works fine.
Another thing is to have a cushion which you kick about to kneel on.

I have both the trouser type and strap on but I avoid using either unless really necessary, my preference for convenience and comfort is a simple foam kneeling pad.

I have not gone on with the variety of strap on pads I have tried, they keep on moving when I stand up. I have used foam pads of various makes in my trousers pockets and generally they have been better but some moved in the pockets of some trousers and I would have to adjust my trousers to get my knee on the pads. Some pads lost their mojo quite quickly with my 16 stone on them

More recently I have been using the rubber looking honeycomb pads with the red fabric band around them. Cannot remember the name but they are about 3/4" thick with a large open honeycomb. They look as if they will not work but work well for me and have fitted all the trousers pockets I have used them on. They have withstood my weight for over a year now.

At work I use both 'Dickies' and 'C-Safe' branded trousers, with integrated knee pads.
On the motorcycles I have a number of brands, both textile and leather, that use armoured knee pads.

It's pretty much the nature of how your legs move inside the trousers, between bending down and standing up, that teh pads will move. The tighter the fit, the worse it seems to be, really.

The best thing I've found is simply that little upwards hike of the trousers before you bend down, as demonstrated by just about every male guest on chat shows like Wogan when they take a seat opposite Uncle Tel. :)

Tasky":2ahw4y4j said:
At work I use both 'Dickies' and 'C-Safe' branded trousers, with integrated knee pads.
On the motorcycles I have a number of brands, both textile and leather, that use armoured knee pads.

It's pretty much the nature of how your legs move inside the trousers, between bending down and standing up, that teh pads will move. The tighter the fit, the worse it seems to be, really.

The best thing I've found is simply that little upwards hike of the trousers before you bend down, as demonstrated by just about every male guest on chat shows like Wogan when they take a seat opposite Uncle Tel. :)

I use a pair of the velcro strap style pads, but tucked inside the knee pockets, because they are quite bulky they don't move, but I do the little "hike" Tasky mentions, because I've found in the past if I didn't (even without pads) after kneeling down, if I sit back on my heels the fabric gets taught and can put a little pressure on the front of the trousers to the waistline making that uncomfortable.

I worked road construction before retirement...all the concrete finishers used heavy leather ones. Had a felt-like liner, single strap below the knee. No idea of a brand name. These men were on their knee's a LOT. my two cents worth

Thanks for the replies folks.

Rorschach the kneeling pad is a great idea, it's so obvious I don't know why I didn't think of it. I could even get something like this to help with getting back up at the end of the day :lol:

Attachments

• Ritecare-Garden-Kneeler.jpg
    Ritecare-Garden-Kneeler.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 717
dc_ni":1q1ody51 said:

Rorschach the kneeling pad is a great idea, it's so obvious I don't know why I didn't think of it. I could even get something like this to help with getting back up at the end of the day :lol:

I have used kneelers like that one and they are very good if you are going up and down a lot. For me a kneeler is an important part of any tool kit, not only do I have large ones in the house/workshop but I have a very compact one that lives in my toolbag, it was the grand sum of 69pence at a discount store and it worth it's weight in gold.

dc_ni":ntpwzr5d said:

I think you might find the raised arms somewhat restrictive, depending on the task you are undertaking.

I use knee pads only occasionally, and much prefer a cushion to kneel on.

HappyHacker":eeb6ep3f said:
I have not gone on with the variety of strap on pads I have tried, they keep on moving when I stand up. I have used foam pads of various makes in my trousers pockets and generally they have been better but some moved in the pockets of some trousers and I would have to adjust my trousers to get my knee on the pads. Some pads lost their mojo quite quickly with my 16 stone on them

More recently I have been using the rubber looking honeycomb pads with the red fabric band around them. Cannot remember the name but they are about 3/4" thick with a large open honeycomb. They look as if they will not work but work well for me and have fitted all the trousers pockets I have used them on. They have withstood my weight for over a year now.

these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NEW-Redbacks-L ... +knee+pads

flying haggis":bbpa97ur said:
HappyHacker":bbpa97ur said:

these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NEW-Redbacks-L ... +knee+pads

They are the ones. I have been very impressed with them. As I now qualify as an old geezer I certainly notice if i kneel down without padding my knees hurt afterwards and those Redbacks work better than the foam inserts I have used.

I also have a foam kneeling pad and find them useful if I am working in one position but when working on customer jobs I tend to be all over the place so having the pads in my trousers is much better and one less thing to forget.

Back