What to treat a jig with for easy sliding?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kryten602

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has come up before, what is the best treatment for the underside of jigs for a smooth sliding action please? Varnish or wax? Preferably something available at Screwfix or Toolstation? Thanks for any suggestions.

A wax candle used sparingly. On machine beds wax furniture polish is my choice, the silicone sprays don't seem to be of much use long term.

Be careful of silicone based polishes around any wood that will be surface finished. Minute contamination of the surface will cause pinholes and craters in your finish. I used to work in automotive paint production and the workers were given a list of banned cosmetics and deodorants to prevent this issue.

In my experience a (very little) candle wax works fine.

H
i use liberon lubricating wax & as others have said, definitely nothing with silicone in it as it'll cause problems with other finishes.
can't post a link as i'm not allowed

Steve

Thanks to all for their helpful advice. I must say I tried the lightly applied candle wax and that seemed to work well. Sorry for late reply but I'm still trying to work out how to get Notifications when I get a response.

Kryten602":lrvb6dxk said:
Thanks to all for their helpful advice. I must say I tried the lightly applied candle wax and that seemed to work well. Sorry for late reply but I'm still trying to work out how to get Notifications when I get a response.

I find it easier to just daily check the "View your posts" link in the top right.

Re notifications - when you make a post, there are checkboxes at the bottom of the editor screen. One is "Notify me when a reply is posted".

The normal default setting is ON. You can change this setting per-message, or to change your own default, go into the User Control Panel (via the link in the blue stripe on the right) then choose Board Preferences then Edit Posting Defaults.

If the checkbox is already selected, make sure your email programme is not treating notifications as spam.

If its something where you can secure the ends of a piece of tape, I like the Teflon tape you can buy from many sources.

Back