Cutting threads on new arms for meddings.imp.-metric info

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear God. Thanks Phil. I have enough spare. How did I not think of that?

phil.p":nnoju6bo said:
Because you looked at it too hard for too long.

Arf! It happens all too often...

phil.p's excellent suggestion reminded me that my Jet drill, which has 12mm arms actually has flats cut on the arms near the point where they enter the hub - presumably so you can get a spanner on them to tighten, not that I've ever felt the need. So that might be another strategy for getting a purchase on the bar.
If you're still struggling after trying Phil's suggestion you need to worry about the die you're using - there's a world of difference between cheapo or worn out old dies and spanking new Dormers, as I discovered early on in my metal manglings.

Good luck anyway - it looks like a nice machine, well worth the effort.

Rob.

It was good to meet you at Cressing Temple yesterday. I mentioned the idea of drilling a hole though an aluminium block and making a saw cut from one side as far as the hole. Well, I don't like to recommend things without trying them for myself so I tried it this morning and it worked well. I didn't have a 1/2" BSF die so I used a 1/2" BSW, which probably needs more effort. You are welcome to have the block - If you would like it just send me your address by PM and I'll put it in the post.

Attachments

• IMG_5386C.jpg
    IMG_5386C.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 584
It was a pleasure to meet you also Rxh. Thank you so much for going to so much trouble on my behalf. It is very kind and generous of you. Will send you a pm.

Rxh's kind and generous help turned up in the post today. Armed with that and all the other knowledge I've gleaned from you all, I cracked on.
Thanks to Musicman, I split the die wide open. Next cut was middle screw released and two outer screws just holding the die in place. Lastly I did up them badboys to clean the thread.
Lot learnt. From tapers to die tightness to the sticky properties of aluminium. Cheers all. It's much appreciated. Really.
As always, the first one took a while as I worked it out. Second thread was about 10 minutes start to finish. Did't really bother with measuring for straight. Had faith in the eye and steady progress. Boom.

yJ3Jdp5.jpg

mbA7XEd.jpg

Annnnnnd just to check 'cos.... ya know....excitable... screwed into the star arm. Needs the surplus cut off but... Jobs a goodun.

ZRzfGBa.jpg

Special thanks to Rxh for the ali block but thanks to you all for sharing your knowledge. It really is much appreciated.
Regards as always,
Chris

Bm101":2c9yzzxf said:
Next cut was middle screw released and two outer screws just holding the die in place. Lastly I did up them badboys to clean the thread.
Just a word of caution - I suspect that the thread you have cut is under-size - though it won't matter a great deal in this application - the correct size will be with the die at 'rest' ie. with all the screws just holding, effectively as your second cut.

I only mention this since now you have a die-stock you may well want to use it again (maybe buying more dies :)) and the next job might need a more precise 'fit'.

WELL DONE Bm101!

I notice you say the 2nd thread was easier than the first. Do a couple more and you'll find it (almost) as easy as falling off a log!

=D> Looks good.

P.S. +1 for J-G's comments - as he suggests, this way you can "fine tune" your thread final sizes, especially useful for refurbishing and repairing old gear.

AES

I like it when we get a collective result like this and the rest of us can learn by watching - I've not seen the ali clamping block trick before.
Have you still got room for the lathe and the milling machine?

Thanks JG, appreciated and noted.

Cheers Aes. Cut the last ones today from the rest of the surplus bar because I had marked the first attempt too much. Think I cut it, ground ends, measured and cut both threads in about 10 minutes. One of those skillls. Nothing like doing it to learn it.

As an afterthought. Been mooching on Ebay for a while looking for a set of dies, job lot type deal that might fly under the radar and go cheap.
Found the most honest advert I haveeverseen. Wonders will never cease lol.

15 Minutes left to snap up a bargain as I write this. ;) Read the description lol. Brilliant! Couldn't make it up.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tap-die-set-c ... 0005.m1851

Andy. I fully agree mate. What I particularly like about this one was that it's such a basic beginners issue. Yet it went from my inexperience, a bit of luck buying the dies on my holiday, to getting great advice and meeting another ukw member in real life, some real generosity of spirit and a solution found. You have to love all that and the fact a record is left for someone else who comes along wondering how to go about cutting a thread for the first time, finds this thread on the internet and is saved a shed load of aggravation.

All the best as always and thanks to all who helped.
Regards
Chris

Bm101":1us3dxi6 said:
Tap-die-set-collectors-item-only-40-boxed-well-used-condition
Although some of those items might be capable of recovery (I doubt that the Taps would), a bigger issue (for me) would be that the dies are 'solid' rather than 'split'. I know it is possible to split them with a Dremel or similar but it's not ideal, much better to look for Dies originally manufactured as split.

Solid Dies (and Die-Nuts) are great for repairing/cleaning up damaged threads, or even as a finishing cut after starting with a split Die, but poor for cutting new threads (except maybe M3 and below).

Ahh. Thanks for more useful advice.
Tbh I was impressed more by his honesty than the set JG! When the seller says 'don't buy this!' you have to wonder why they post it.

Item description:
Poor quality, old kit,no good when it was made,worse now!
Sellers reminder located orange bin large 2 v large

:D I had to chuckle.
Will keep an eye on ebay etc for a decent set at the right price. No need to rush, time is on my side so maybe I will get lucky.

It's been said before on this Forum, several times actually, but unless you have absolutely NIL taps and dies, perhaps buying a full set is not the best way to go. Unless from a tip-top manufacturer (i.e. expensive) you probably won't get all 3 taps (taper or 1st, 2nd, & bottoming - there are other terms), AND you'll also often end up with probably a couple of sizes that you'll never use.

When I "changed systems" (moving here 30 years ago) and needed virtually all new Metric, I bought a set. But since then I've simply added to the odds n sods I inherited from my dad and already had, then adding the odd tap or die when they came up for "end of line" etc sales at shops, car boot sales (I don't go regularly), or from friends etc who've said "this might come in handy mate". These days you can of course add the bay, + local paper ads etc with job lots of people giving up, retiring, etc.

And don't forget those cheapo sets you see at Aldi, etc. Yes, they may all be made of cheese (they're not all made that way actually), but to have a cheapo set so you can deal with the odd one off thread that crops up and don't mind loosing is also a very useful back up.

Just my "cheap skate" approach, but HTH.

Only thing is, if buying odd one offs, make sure you store them safely, NOT just rattling around in a baccie tin! (I use lengths of model aero silicon fuel tubing and exhaust piping, etc, cut off to length. THEN they can go into the tin!)

AES

I got the aldi set when I first moved out and got my own workshop. It's been worth it already in time saved not having to go to dad's every time I want to clean a thread out.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Good work Chris =D>
Saw the problem, worked towards a solution, achieved a result and sits back proudly with drink in hand 8)
That's what we're all aiming for :D

Back