The Opposite of a Clamp - an Expander?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Kev.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've just started work on fitting out the interior of my tool chest (surely the longest running project in woodworking history but I regard it as my apprentice piece) and I've come to a bit where I'd like to have the pressure of a clamp but in a place where no clamp would fit (it would need an 18" throat, if throat is the right word). So it occurs to me that an ideal solution would be a sort of anti-clamp: something which could be expanded as opposed to contracted in order to exert pressure. I'll probably end up jamming a couple of battens in place but this got me wondering if such a thing has ever been developed. Does anybody know?

A pair of cast iron clamp heads, used on a length of wood, can be assembled inside out to work as a spreader. Any of the systems based on steel pipe such as the Pony brand can do the same.

Not sure I can visualise what you need, but an offcut of something fairly stout plus a pair of folding wedges would probably do it.

Eric types faster than I do, but it's nice to agree!

At the opposite end of the cost spectrum; Bessey K bodies can be reversed to work as spreaders and they do so with the same force as they cramp; that is to say a lot! Given the cost of these though I wouldn't suggest buying Besseys just for this job, rather if you have one or two it's worth noting that they can work this way. A lath and some wedges can do the job but depending on how much pressure you need I might go with thinner stock, slightly over long and bent between the parts being spread, like a big spring. Hope that makes sense.

The cheap Lidl quick action clamps can be reversed to work like this. The biggest I think are 300mm but you could easily pack them out to 18". The only problem will be finding them in stock somewhere.

A turnbuckle between two blocks is a possible solution.

Turnbuckle.jpg

Thanks for all the replies and tips. I do like the look of the cramp heads. The distance to be bridged is just under 2' and I have a pair of cramps where I can reverse one head as shown in some of the links. Should they not be long enough, the local tool shop has similar ones in stock.

Thanks again.

Back