Lancashire Pattern Tools.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Robert Kelly tool. This humble wallpaper scraper nevertheless has a forged bolster and exotic hardwood handle.

Attachments

• 20170527_161442C.jpg
    20170527_161442C.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 608
  • 20170527_161311C.jpg
    20170527_161311C.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 608
Does it count if the maker was born in Lancashire but doesn't live there now? :)

Attachments

• IMG_5235C.jpg
    IMG_5235C.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 567
rxh":3fmti654 said:
Does it count if the maker was born in Lancashire but doesn't live there now? :)

is this your build? I'm interested in making one, sort of, and I'd like pictures from as many angles as possible.

also, I'd like to see some video of it in use.

actually, at this point I'm figuring I'll use angle iron for the body, mating it with a frog, blade, chipbreaker and lever cap from a bailey pattern plane, milled down to as low an angle as I think I can get away with and brazed on. I know that the chipbreaker and bevel down iron are departures from lancashire pattern, but I *am* in arizona....

bridger":kl0sxhpu said:
rxh":kl0sxhpu said:

is this your build? I'm interested in making one, sort of, and I'd like pictures from as many angles as possible.

also, I'd like to see some video of it in use.

actually, at this point I'm figuring I'll use angle iron for the body, mating it with a frog, blade, chipbreaker and lever cap from a bailey pattern plane, milled down to as low an angle as I think I can get away with and brazed on. I know that the chipbreaker and bevel down iron are departures from lancashire pattern, but I *am* in arizona....

just gathered the parts together, and the angle I have is pretty small, or the mechanism of the bailey frog is too big.

rxh":3jznnmxj said:

Lancashire pattern, made by a Lancashire lad but not in Lancashire - well, two out of three ain't bad!

That's a nice looking little plane, too. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts about using it when you've had a chance to give it a bit of a workout.

Belated thanks to all. I got round to making a new iron of 3/16" thick O1 steel to replace the unsatisfactory 1/8" thick soft one. I also opened up the "pocket" in the side to try and reduce the tendency to clogging. It works much better now, particularly on the shoulders and cheeks of big tenons. I tried it for shooting, which worked but tended to wear the shooting board as you might expect. Use for rebating is possible but not as easy as using a rebate plane. I'm trying to thin of other uses ....

Attachments

• IMG_5313C.jpg
    IMG_5313C.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_5312C.jpg
    IMG_5312C.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_5311C.jpg
    IMG_5311C.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_5310C.jpg
    IMG_5310C.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_5309C.jpg
    IMG_5309C.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_5316C.jpg
    IMG_5316C.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_5308C.jpg
    IMG_5308C.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 452
This on the Lancashire pattern shoulder plane by Jane Rees "The Lancashire shoulder plane patented by George Edwin Bryant, patternmaker, and Edward James Witcombe, plane maker, of Bristol, in 1902 ...to improve the performance of shoulder planes. Why they are called Lancashire shoulder planes has not been established. There are at least two planes known, marked Bryant and Co. Bristol".....If I remember correctly, Jane's comment was on a post in TATHS.

I bought my example of this plane (missing its handle) for £11.

First post, I see, Workshopted - welcome to the forum!

That's a really useful little snippet of information, and from as impeccable a source as they come. Lancashire pattern planes invented in Bristol, eh? That's a bit of a turn-up, but does explain the complete lack of references in Lancashire.

No doubt AndyT will be along shortly for a gentle gloat, though! :lol:

Back