iTS ultex diamond stones on sale

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang, I wish I knew that they have a sale from time to time, before I spent a whopping 5.50
for two DMD diamond cheapies :D
I find the DMD's to be a right pain as there so thin.
FWIW I would not use these DMD's for flattening the back of an iron...
There is a big burr on every edge of these hones and is bound to be problematic if you were to attempt lapping.
I have to use one of my "surface plates" to get them to stay put, and hopefully not warp.
I only bought these 400 and 1000 hones (mainly the 400) for when my primary bevel starts to get large, but
yet to small to bother grinding off.

Those Ultex would be great for starters who have no space to keep a stone safe as they won't break if you drop em.
And would make setting up a plane a simpler task if you have no surface plate or reference surface.

I would be getting one if could justify it.
I wonder how long the sale lasts? :roll:

Thanks
Tom

Those are great stones for bevel work. Not as flat as dmt, etc, but you can use something else for initial flattening.

I have them under the dmd brand , but they're the same stone.

Ttrees":358ck3en said:
I find the DMD's to be a right pain as there so thin.
Had you thought about sticking them down to something thick if you find them too thin? Some 12mm MDF would probably work well.

Ttrees":358ck3en said:
FWIW I would not use these DMD's for flattening the back of an iron...
I don't find it an issue with my 1,000-grit. I am only doing a portion of the back near the edge (all that needs to be worked) but my one is flat enough for that.

Well the stones maybe a good deal, however I am very unimpressed with their data protection policy’s.

They store your card details automatically unless you then delete it and there is no optout for marketing emails or third-party data use.

I have asked why, so we shall see what they come back with.

I'll bet you could order by phone and just refuse to give them an email address. If they don't tolerate that, then don't order from them.

I hate to make an order from someone and then get 50 spam emails over the next couple of months, only to find that each unsubscribe is only for a "part" of their email system. They do that on purpose:
"you have now unsubscribed from our weekly offers"

(only to find out that they have 10 other email offer systems that you have to sign out of to get completely removed, and then "affiliates offers", "special new products", etc).

If its really bad, I can go and buy them in person and post them to you, as the Harlow branch is only 15-20mins from me

I have the 600, 800 and 1000 stones, they work well enough, but to get a good sharp edge things need to go up a bit, or I need more practice :lol:

In all fairness, I have raised the issue with them so we will see if they get back.

Company’s do these special offers as a way of gathering data to sell on. Most certainly I can see that Google AdSense is hard at work now promoting their goods, despite the fact that I have opted out of AdSense tracking.

woodenstuart":fjcvm2cr said:
I have the 600, 800 and 1000 stones, they work well enough, but to get a good sharp edge things need to go up a bit, or I need more practice :lol:
600 is more than fine enough to create a workable edge, for plane irons at least. If you're honing enough to eradicate the wear bevel and you're still not getting a properly sharp edge it may indicate you're not removing the last traces of the burr. Just a quick bit of work on a bare strop should be enough to make a noticeable difference if that's the case.

If you use a loaded strop though you should be able to achieve a really good edge after 1,000 grit.

Back