Little antique shop in Whitby

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwr

Established Member
Reaction score
I spotted this at £35.00 I didn't even haggle. It looks like new must not of had much use.

Attachments

• IMG_3631.JPG
    IMG_3631.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,648
Great buy.

IMO a good quality router plane is an essential component of even the most stripped down cabinet maker's tool kit.

Agreed. The eBay price seems to be about double what you paid. I blame Paul Sellers for telling everyone how useful they are!

I thought it was a bargain at that price especially complete, do you sharpen the bits on your chosen stone eg oil, water, diamond sideways along the stone? Hope that makes sense.

A fair bit of the work you do with a router plane is cross grain, so they tend to remain sharp for a very long time. Despite using my router planes pretty frequently I don't think I sharpen them more than once or twice a year.

That's good news because they're a bit fiddly to sharpen, not complicated, just not as straightforward as a bench plane iron. I use slip stones to raise a burr, being very careful to maintain the geometry, then polish the burr out on some pink "scary sharp" paper, but a honing strop would work equally well.

Thanks custard good to know they don't need sharpening very often, they seem quite dull at the moment so will need sharpening before use I will give them a go and see how I get on.

If you head up flower street until you reach a pub/hotel called resolution on your right turn right there onto skinner street and it's along there on your right hand side,Keep you're eyes peeled it's easy to miss or is that just me lol I walked past it all week and ne er noticed it until our last day there.
There is a craking bakers called Bothams beside it and the chicken and leek pies are out of this world.

gwr":39smr5ay said:
If you head up flower street until you reach a pub/hotel called resolution on your right turn right there onto skinner street and it's along there on your right hand side,Keep you're eyes peeled it's easy to miss or is that just me lol I walked past it all week and ne er noticed it until our last day there.
There is a craking bakers called Bothams beside it and the chicken and leek pies are out of this world.

Thanks for that, it's donkeys years since we've been to Whitby but I'll look for both shops. We're meeting up at the caravan site with my bil and another couple who both have motorhomes and we're taking our new tourer. Will get a game of golf and a good poke around the shops as well as a few bevies no doubt.

Bob

that's a great find! as custard says, you shouldn't have to sharpen them very often, once the initial sharpening is done, router planes are very handy tools, mine gets a lot of use.

I sharpen mine by placing the stone at the edge of the bench then the shank can hang down to get a reasonable angle.
I just eyeball about the 30* angle but there must be someone out there thats made a jig.
Regards
John

Derek Cohen has shown a method of getting a hollow grind so as to help register the edge on the stone. Not quite a jig, but close.

I think the difficulty of sharpening router cutters has been exaggerated. If you don't get on with moving the cutter over the side of the stone, hold the cutter still and use a slipstone on the edge.

AndyT":2zgqrndi said:
Agreed. The eBay price seems to be about double what you paid. I blame Paul Sellers for telling everyone how useful they are!

i had one for years which my grandfather left me in a carpenters chest, never used it until i saw Paul sellers showing all its useful applications. use it all the time now. so ill have to thank him =D> :lol: (hammer)

They are a very handy tool to have. I only got one about 6 years back but could not get by without it now. Keep finding more stuff to do with it.
Regards
John

You really did well getting that router for only £35.
Regular followers of Paul Sellers will know that he has also praised a rare Tyzack model which is larger and lets you shift the cutter and handle positions. They've been selling for over £100 for some time, but this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263163372728 has just sold on eBay for £337.97!

The Veritas is now officially a bargain buy, even at current exchange rates!

That price sure does make £35 seem a steal.
I have noticed that ebay prices can get way over the top at times I think it must be auction fever.

I found a penknife in that same shop, marked at £10. I offered her 8 and she said Yes. So I handed over a tenner, expecting change. I got the penknife, a smile and a Thank You.
English was not her first language, so I didn't bother to argue. It was worth it for the laugh.

gwr":1mrshusc said:
I spotted this at £35.00 I didn't even haggle. It looks like new must not of had much use.
Jealously off the scale here. Particularly as my parents live in Whitby.

Latest posts

Back