Draw Box - Ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leon1984

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

For my wardrobe, I am going to be making 16 drawers with a fairly simple construction. I will be cutting the front and back slightly shorter so that I can screw the draw bottom up into them. The sides will have a recess about 2cm up for the draw bottom to slide into. The front and back will then be pocket screwed into the sides, all glued.

They will be roughly 78cm (w) x 50cm (d). Height will range from 22cm tall to 15cm.

Given the size, and the relatively low weight each draw will carry, what thickness Ply would you use for both the draw, and then also the draw bottom?

If it were me, I'd use 1/2" sides / 1/4" bottom for my side and 1" all round for SWMBO side!

SVB":1cls0sgr said:
If it were me, I'd use 1/2" sides / 1/4" bottom for my side and 1" all round for SWMBO side!
As you're using pocket screws I'd use 18mm all round, to give the screws a decent amount of wood to bite into. (I'm not a big user of pocket screws, they may be ok in 12mm). For other construction methods 12mm would be adequate.
6mm for the base, making the rebate 20mm up is wasting a lot of drawer space, 10mm is adequate.
When you've checked the price of decent ply you may find that it makes more sense to use MRMDF.
Watch some of Peter Millard's videos to see what can be achieved with MDF.

I tend to use 18mm front & back, 12mm sides and 6mm base, all Birch ply for drawers - but then I'm usually doing through dominos; with pocket-hole screws I'd be inclined to agree with 18mm all round, 6mm base.

If you can live with the 'look' then exposed dowels can work well; cheaper than dominos ;)

BTW I'd suggest keeping the drawer fronts full depth and just trimming down the back - tends to look nicer, unless you're fitting fascias in which case ignore me!

Cheers, Peter

Edited to add - there's a couple of vids with drawers on my channel, if it helps - link should be in the sig.

pcb1962":10w0ecb8 said:
SVB":10w0ecb8 said:
As you're using pocket screws I'd use 18mm all round, to give the screws a decent amount of wood to bite into. (I'm not a big user of pocket screws, they may be ok in 12mm). For other construction methods 12mm would be adequate.
6mm for the base, making the rebate 20mm up is wasting a lot of drawer space, 10mm is adequate.
When you've checked the price of decent ply you may find that it makes more sense to use MRMDF.
Watch some of Peter Millard's videos to see what can be achieved with MDF.

I have seen warnings about MDF splitting under pressure of the pocket screws etc, so was thinking I would rather spend the money and make something that will last. IKEA PAX system for the size we need was around £1200 (It is 4 meters of wardrobe) so as long as I come in under that I am happy. I am not including the price of tools :mrgreen:

Thanks for the pointer RE the rebate, will adjust to 10mm.

petermillard":2ilos8iu said:
I tend to use 18mm front & back, 12mm sides and 6mm base, all Birch ply for drawers - but then I'm usually doing through dominos; with pocket-hole screws I'd be inclined to agree with 18mm all round, 6mm base.

If you can live with the 'look' then exposed dowels can work well; cheaper than dominos ;)

BTW I'd suggest keeping the drawer fronts full depth and just trimming down the back - tends to look nicer, unless you're fitting fascias in which case ignore me!

Cheers, Peter

Edited to add - there's a couple of vids with drawers on my channel, if it helps - link should be in the sig.

Hi Peter, thanks for your help. 18mm sides and 6mm base it is :eek:ccasion5: Have taken a look at your video's most helpful! And yes there will be draw fronts, the plan is to make a chest box, use soft close side runners and space the draws out evenly and flush to the face. Then add the fronts on afterwards.

Peter - four weeks ago (I kid you not, after being on this forum since 2013) I found your youtube channel.

The videos are very informative and nicely presented - best wishes.

Back