making my shaker style weather station

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
instead of posting pics in the other thread, thought I'd start a new one.

I'll be making a shaker style weather station. I bought 3 vintage dials on ebay, a barometer, thermometer and a humidity monitor.

here is the source on woodworking masterclasses https://woodworkingmasterclasses.com/ta ... ?order=asc

mine will be 21 1/2" long instead of 17" that's the only difference,

so I've started with the first housing dado joints, and got all the wood prepared to size,

I will update it with photos and information as I go along.

regards,

Ben.

I'm pretty respectful of the way you're teaching yourself to work wood.

You progress in a logical and structured way through a programme of training. You acquire the key skills and techniques in a sensible, balanced order. You don't allow yourself to fall down obsessive woodworking rabbit holes. You select projects that push you, but aren't insanely over ambitious. You tackle those projects with bags of enthusiasm, yet you don't rush and you make sure all your tools, cutting lists, plans, and materials are at hand before commencing.

What can I say, it's the right way to go.

Good luck with this project, I'm sure you'll knock it for six.

=D>

I recently became mildly fascinated with these. I bought a second hand set off ebay cause I thought it looked quirky. I wasn't expecting the barometer to be as accurate as it was,and found a place for it in my shed- nearly ended up buying another one for indoors.
Looking forward to seeing this build progress. Any chance we could get a sneaky pic of the gauges ?

Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ok it's time to update this now, here's a few shots to show the progress so far, not had much time until now,

before even beggining I spend a good while choosing the right grain, and trying different combinations until I got a good match then cut the pieces of redwood to size, I removed the arris with just one plane stroke to prevent them from breaking off and to make it easier to handle.

stage 1 is complete, I've made the 4 housing dado joints and cleaned them up with a chisel then my veritas router plane, one of them had a knot in it, which I chose deliberately to get rid of it, I had to be careful with that one to avoid tearout, it came out good in the end.

hoping to do some more today and over the weekend, any questions just let me know,

regards,

Ben.

Attachments

• Shaker_Weather_Station-1.jpg
    Shaker_Weather_Station-1.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 251
  • Shaker_Weather_Station-2.jpg
    Shaker_Weather_Station-2.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 250
  • Shaker_Weather_Station-3.jpg
    Shaker_Weather_Station-3.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 250
  • Shaker_Weather_Station-4.jpg
    Shaker_Weather_Station-4.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 250
  • Shaker_Weather_Station-5.jpg
    Shaker_Weather_Station-5.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 250
  • Shaker_Weather_Station-6.jpg
    Shaker_Weather_Station-6.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 250
  • Shaker_Weather_Station-7.jpg
    Shaker_Weather_Station-7.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 250
  • Shaker_Weather_Station-8.jpg
    Shaker_Weather_Station-8.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 250
  • Shaker_Weather_Station-9.jpg
    Shaker_Weather_Station-9.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 250
  • Shaker_Weather_Station-10.jpg
    Shaker_Weather_Station-10.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 250
another couple of pics

Attachments

• Shaker_Weather_Station-11.jpg
    Shaker_Weather_Station-11.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 250
  • Shaker_Weather_Station-12.jpg
    Shaker_Weather_Station-12.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 250
next stage is cutting the notches on the sides for the housing dados, then cutting the tenons (top and bottom) to length whilst it's assembled.

I tried looking at what the finished article looks like in the link, but you have to have an account.
Judging from what I did see, I get the impression that there is a hole that the clock sits in to.

I have seen some weather station dials and such from a few places, these all seem to insert into the timber and have
a front lip that makes sure it sits level.

In all examples I have seen these are always falling out when the timber drys out.

What is the best method to counter this ?

I was thinking these should come with a spring to make sure they stay tight.

Thanks
Tom

Ttrees":2nd141s6 said:
I tried looking at what the finished article looks like in the link, but you have to have an account.
Judging from what I did see, I get the impression that there is a hole that the clock sits in to.

I have seen some weather station dials and such from a few places, these all seem to insert into the timber and have
a front lip that makes sure it sits level.

In all examples I have seen these are always falling out when the timber drys out.

What is the best method to counter this ?

I was thinking these should come with a spring to make sure they stay tight.

Thanks
Tom

Hi Tom, yes there will be a hole in the panel, not sure how to counteract the shrinking, I will see how it goes once it's built, if it falls out, I'll use double sided tape probably

I've cut the notches, now the dado's go fully in, next stage is making grooves, I'm going to use a mortice gauge then the router plane with a fence attached for this as I don't have a plough plane yet.

Attachments

• Housing_Dado_Cuts-1.jpg
    Housing_Dado_Cuts-1.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 212
  • Housing_Dado_Cuts-2.jpg
    Housing_Dado_Cuts-2.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 212
  • Housing_Dado_Cuts-3.jpg
    Housing_Dado_Cuts-3.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 212
  • Housing_Dado_Cuts-4.jpg
    Housing_Dado_Cuts-4.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 212
  • Housing_Dado_Cuts-5.jpg
    Housing_Dado_Cuts-5.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 212
  • Housing_Dado_Cuts-6.jpg
    Housing_Dado_Cuts-6.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 212
the frame joinery is now complete, all grooves were cut with a router plane + fence, I really want a plough plane now, would have made things a lot faster, today I'm going to start on the panel making. Pictures of the dials have also been added

Attachments

• Weather_Station_Stage_Three-1.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Three-1.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 173
  • Weather_Station_Stage_Three-2.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Three-2.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 173
  • Weather_Station_Stage_Three-3.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Three-3.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 173
  • Weather_Station_Stage_Three-4.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Three-4.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 173
  • Weather_Station_Stage_Three-5.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Three-5.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 173
  • Weather_Station_Stage_Three-6.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Three-6.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 173
  • Weather_Station_Stage_Three-7.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Three-7.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 173
  • Weather_Station_Stage_Three-8.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Three-8.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 173
  • Weather_Station_Stage_Three-9.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Three-9.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 173
  • Weather_Station_Stage_Three-10.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Three-10.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 173
thetyreman":12etx6vf said:
I really want a plough plane now, would have made things a lot faster.

You've got the hang of woodworking ok, but I'm worried that you have missed some of the subtleties of tool acquisition! :)

Not so long ago, you were asking sensible questions about what plough plane to buy first and you got a selection of sensible answers. You've now struggled through the point in your project where you could have enjoyed having one! I know it's possible to make long grooves with a router plane - I did it myself on an early bookcase - but it takes ages and needs a lot of care. So, in case it helps, I'd just like to suggest that you have now earned the right to reward yourself by buying a nice new (ie old) plough plane. Keep an eye on the Collectables category on ebay, and set up alerts for new listings of preferred models. Browse through the tool dealers who sell online, using the handy TATHS list at http://www.taths.org.uk/tools-trades/no ... ealers-etc .

And if you want a second opinion on anything you see listed, send me a pm.

I have now cut the panel to size, I'll follow it up with photos tomorrow in daylight, one thing that I almost overlooked is one of the ends wasn't square to the long side, meaning the line would have been way off, and not square, I also altered the lines as they wouldn't have fit the dials, something else I'm glad I checked first, tommorow I'll shape the panel and fit it in place.

Great work do far, that clock build was something I always meant to get around to trying!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

here's some more progress, the roundovers are done on the top and bottom, it was quite a challenge staying within the lines for the panel, so far one of the trickest things I've done in woodworking yet, sellers makes it look easy!

Tomorrow it's finishing the beading and making the holes for the dials.

Attachments

• Weather_Station_Stage_Four-1.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Four-1.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 108
  • Weather_Station_Stage_Four-2.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Four-2.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Weather_Station_Stage_Four-3.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Four-3.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Weather_Station_Stage_Four-4.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Four-4.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Weather_Station_Stage_Four-5.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Four-5.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 108
  • Weather_Station_Stage_Four-6.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Four-6.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Weather_Station_Stage_Four-7.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Four-7.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Weather_Station_Stage_Four-8.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Four-8.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Weather_Station_Stage_Four-9.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Four-9.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 108
  • Weather_Station_Stage_Four-10.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Four-10.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 108
one more for luck

Attachments

• Weather_Station_Stage_Four-11.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Four-11.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 107
I've done the beading now, using a poor man's beading tool, it's all sanded to 240 grit, ready for the holes for the dials to be cut and then finishing with de-waxed shellac.

I'm currently looking into some kind of springs for the clock dials so they don't fall out, any advice on this would be appreciated.

I'm going to test it out on another piece of wood before commiting to it, so the final stage may take another few days.

New pictures are attached, I'm very happy with how it's turned out.

Attachments

• Weather_Station_Stage_Five-7.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Five-7.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 182
  • Weather_Station_Stage_Five-6.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Five-6.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 182
  • Weather_Station_Stage_Five-5.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Five-5.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 182
  • Weather_Station_Stage_Five-4.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Five-4.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 182
  • Weather_Station_Stage_Five-3.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Five-3.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 182
  • Weather_Station_Stage_Five-2.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Five-2.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 182
  • Weather_Station_Stage_Five-1.jpg
    Weather_Station_Stage_Five-1.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 182
That's looking nice and tidy.

Springs sound like an elegant solution, but if you they don't come with the dials and you can't find anything suitable, and assuming you push the dials through large holes, I'd be tempted to use a few dabs of hot melt glue (from the back, of course) or else dabs of solvent-based glue such as UHU or Bostik.

First class Tyreman

=D>

So much evidence of craftsmanship, from the crisply cut housings to the immaculate end grain round overs. Really first class.

I slightly messed up the hole cutting, it's ok but could be a little more accurate, should have used my dividers to get a perfectly even distance between all three holes, the middle hole is slightly lower than I'd have liked, but apart from that it's looking good, just making some de-waxed shellac so should begin finishing tomorrow.

Thanks custard, that means a lot coming from you!

Back