Advice on what lathe to replace my old Coronet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbsb33

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I am new to this site and need some advice regarding replacing my old Coronet lathe. The model I have does not have a swivel head so is fairly limited on the capacity and is only 3 speed. Although I have not done a vast amount of woodturning I feel that I would benefit from something with more capacity and speeds. I mainly do bowls. I like the idea of future proofing but don't want to get too carried away.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards Tim

I would suggest a Record CL3 or CL4 if funds allow. Similar to the old Coronet and a sturdy workhorse.

Or just take a smaller step forward in time to a Coronet Major? Then kit it out with the weird and wonderful accessories they had and you've got an amazing system.

Might also depend on your objectives for turning ...

If you fancy a good size lathe that has the ability to manufacture then this lathe (with all the kit) is less cost than a vicmarc vl300 or a powermatic 4224

https://holzprofi.com/maschinen/woodtur ... 238209%3BA

This video shows the production capability from about 2min30 in.

https://holzprofi.com/maschinen/woodtur ... 1201#video

You can get the base machine without the add-ons for about the same price as a jet 3520b

(edit : personally though if I had £5-6k to spend on a new lathe I'd get the Vicmarc 300)

SVB":1paauz7r said:
Depends on what funds are available but the axminster 1628VS is a great machine.

Simon

+1 on this.

This is an even better machine that i thought it would be when I bought it. Cost more than my car but worth every penny.

If you go down the second hand route you might consider a Viceroy. No longer made but very sturdy, a popular choice in schools. The down side is the spindle thread - 1 1/2 x8 inboard and 1 1/4 x 9 left hand outboard. I have one and the bed looks to be about as strong as the bed on my old Myford metal lathe. 3 MT on headstock and tailstock though which is nice.

If you decide on one, make sure it is complete, or at least has the outboard faceplate. They go for typically £350 - £400 on eBay, not much more than a brand new hobby lathe, but worlds apart in build quality.

If you get a 3 phase one and need to change the motor, be prepared for a right performance. I did it but it is very awkward - I had to undo bolts ( not all that easy to reach) and winch the lathe up to do it.

K

Inspired by Dickm, I"m prompted to ask which "old coronet" do you have and how much are you roughly wanting to spend on the new lathe ?

Hi all

Thanks for all the replies. The only other forum I use is for the m/cycle but don't get this sort of response.
Not sure which one to answer or if should be done individually maybe someone will tell me if I am doing it wong.

To clarify clarify my position:
I have what I believe to be a coronet CL2 with fixed head and 48" bars/bed. I do mainly bowls and want to try some larger stuff. I have a budget of £650.00 ish.
I have looked at the lathe suggested by dcmguy but this is far beyond my budget and most probably my needs but looks like good quality kit.
The axminster lathe suggested by buzzby + svb also looks good and the reports I have seen are good but a bit too much for me right now for a new one. Have they been out long enough for secondhand ones to be on the market ?. Graduate owner suggested Viceroy I have not looked at Viceroy before, Is there any particular model to go for ?
The record CL4 suggested by yorkshire pudding looks good and not too far from my price range. so maybe worth another look.
I have seen a Graduate short bed with variable speed for sale. It is just out of my range but is this a good lathe to consider.

Thanks again for all replies Tim

Just a suggestion which might give you time to save up for a larger lathe - but could you turn the headstock so that it faced outboard? The wood would still rotate anti-clockwise.
Might mean changing your methods if for example you rough the outside of the bowl & form a tenon between centres you could use a sizable screw chuck to mount the blank instead.
Or work in batches. Do what you need between centres then reverse the headstock.
As I said, just a suggestion which may or may not work.

Hi robbo

thanks for the advice. I have been thinking of turning the headstock round to face the edge of the bench but haven't yet worked out how to support the tool rest firmly. One idea was to have shorter bars and mount the end support far enough away to give enough length for a decent depth bowl. It would need to be on the corner of the bench so I could get to the side as well.

Still chewing that one over

Rgds Tim

Hi K ?

I have seen the viceroy on ebay and have asked for some dimensions to see if It will fit in my space.
Looks like the outboard tool rest is missing or does the main one transfer across.
I presume it would be possible to get a chuck to fit or adapt one.

By your name I presume you own a graduate are they as good as people say ? There has been a short bed variable speed on ebay for a while and not been sold yet.
Is the short bed not popular or are there issues with them ?

Rgds Tim

Sorry Tim, I have only now read your post. Basically I have had a Myford ML8 for over 30 years, lovely lathe but dated and I have never liked the outboard set up. So when I saw a graduate bowl lathe going quite cheap, well I couldn't resist it. I was so chuffed at getting it that I called myself GO when I joined the forum a few days later. To be honest I haven't made that much use of either lathe, so many other things getting priority. I thought when I retired I would have much more time, but actually that didn't happen. So I can't really give a good review of the graduate, but it is certainly sturdy and well built.
I mentioned Viceroy because again I saw one going and couldn't resist, so will be selling on the old Myford now. The Viceroy is also a sturdy beast but they seem to be much more affordable than the graduate for some reason. Mine was less than half what I would expect to pay for a graduate. Again, can't say which is better because of time to really put them through their paces.

K

Keith.

I have read that the short bed has an issue with the tailstock. Apparently it flexes because of it's curved shape. I'm about to get a full length bed for mine. I might be able to make a direct comparison between graduate and viceroy then,.given time.!!!

K

I don't think tool rests would be a problem, I think my graduate ones are interchangeable with viceroy, pretty standard ( one inch diameter I think). It's the faceplates that are the potential problem. Inboard is 1 1/2 x 8, same as boxford metal lathes, possibly others, but outboard is 11/4 x 9 left hand which is uncommon, possibly unique to viceroy. An outboard faceplate went on ebay a few days ago for about £57 plus carriage. Peter Child wood turning sell wood turning chucks with a 1 1/2 x 8 thread, code M C 6 , but I am pretty sure the outboard thread won't be available anywhere.
That's one advantage of the graduate, it's the same thread inboard and outboard, apart from outboard being left hand. Axminster used to offer combined left and right hand threaded options, that's what I have on my Evolution chuck.

K

Hi Keith,
Thanks for your reply. I think I missed one of your replies about the toolrest etc.
I have read about the tailstock flexing on the short bed but like the compact size. I don't envisage much spindle work but you never know !
Still not sure which way to go yet.

I contacted the guy with the Viceroy on ebay. The model number on the plate said it was a short bed but had obviously been changed.
It was not really what I was looking for.

Will you be selling the short bed once you have changed over?

Hope you find some more time to get turning soon.

thanks again Tim

Regarding the Union Graduate lathes. I bought one about 6 months ago to replace a Scheppach DMT450 (rebranded under many different names) which is a smallish bench lathe.

First thing is the Graduate is often overpriced compared to similar lathes from other brands, and this seems to apply to the accessories even more so (faceplates etc) as the headstock thread is 1 1/2" 6TPI. I paid £600 for mine with the 30" bed, a sanding disc setup on the outboard side, and two toolrests. They are often 3 phase motors, so budget for a 3 phase converter. If you are relatively handy with electrics adding a variable drive is not too difficult, and converts to 3 phase at the same time. MUCH cheaper to add your own variable drive than buy the lathe with one already installed.

Secondly, they are extremely heavy.. around 230kg according to http://www.woodturninglathes.co.uk/graduate_classic.htmll It was very difficult getting it into the shed with two people on hand, and that was with the machine split down into pieces. I used a hatchback but the rear suspension was bottomed out all the way home, I would suggest hiring a van instead.

Having said that once in place on a flat surface there is no vibration at all when turning out of balance work, night and day compared to the bench top lathe! All of the moving parts feel very strong and secure.

I have not used other lathes of this size, so I cannot compare. Very happy with mine and yet to use its full potential.

Hi Mini Lathe 22

Thanks for the info regarding the Graduate. I have seen that the Graduate is pricey but as I have heard there is a reason for this and I suppose the accessory prices follow suit ! The weight won't cause probs as I have a van and small crane for piciking up engines.
Waiting to sell a motorbike at the moment to fund buying a decent lathe without too much to do to it.
I think a Graduate short bed or Viceroy bowl lathe would suit me and my space. I won't rule out anything though and will keep an open mind. I am always prepared to listen to people with more experience.

Thanks Tim

Back