Horizontal wet and dry grindstone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
I saw a wet and dry Draper horizontal grindstone in use the other day seemed quite good -other than the plastic guide was a bit wibbly wobbly and the water drip feed didn't spread evenly over the stone. Its the type of grindstone that is horizontal - a bit like a record player style if you know what I mean.
Anyone got one or similar and could give some feedback please before I dust off my wallet and shake the moths around a bit?
thanks

I have used a big oil cooled one at work, and for wide blade the speed difference between the middle and edge removes more metal from one side of the blade than the other.
I only use if I badly chip a blade and check the squareness regularly its a pain to keep it square, if I couldn't use it some 60 grit glued to a flat surface would work.

Pete

Not used the the Draper but got an old Lion Brand horizontal wet stone grinder. It's all I have used for 25 years. Works very well with no bother. If careful you can even flatten the backs of blades and the 800 grit water stone it comes with cuts quickly. Have no idea why they are not more popular. Mine is like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-9820-2- ... B0000223JC

okeydokey":9nkmfx6i said:
Anyone got one or similar and could give some feedback please before I dust off my wallet and shake the moths around a bit?
My two pen'uth, don't, based on the second/third hand one gathering dust in my shop.
The plastic support is just about useless as it is supplied, usable if stiffened up with added material but forget good smooth use for honing wide blades, at least that's my experience, perhaps current versions are improved.

There are far better systems if you are intending it to be your go to sharpening system that you would be better putting your money to.

The small white wheel puts a severe concave edge, the flat fine stone is difficult to use on a refined edge with the rest system because of the fact that it's almost impossible to present a blade to an even peripheral speed wheel with any consistency.

Mine is awaiting some inspiration as to how to utilise the bits and pieces such as the gearbox into something useful to me.

CHJ":3veoghlb said:
okeydokey":3veoghlb said:
the flat fine stone is difficult to use on a refined edge with the rest system because of the fact that it's almost impossible to present a blade to an even peripheral speed wheel with any consistency.

Never felt the need for a precise guide on mine. With a bit of practice you can hold a chisel or plane within a degree or two which is more than good enough IMO

Back