Thin Kerf Circular Saw Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodds

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a thin kerf 1.5 - 1.7mm max Circular Saw blade 250mm (30 bore) (Dewalt DW745)

They seem to be available for smaller blades but not for 250mm

Anyone know where I could get such a thing?

The probably arent available due to stability issued.

Id guess you could get a 2.2mm blade?

If its for a specific application could you fit a smaller blade to get the thin kerf?

Thanks Robin,

Not sure I could get the depth of cut I need with a smaller blade.

Resawing on a table saw with the 2mm + kerf creates so much waste. I do have a band saw and have adjusted as well as I can. A previous post I made, a reply from a member gave a link to how to set up your bandsaw. I tried to set up as well as i could but with my particular saw I couldn't get the adjustment necessary. Because of the constant wandering I gave up on that and now use the table saw.

The Bandsaw is okay as I brought it primarily for my wood turning needs but for resawing it is pretty useless.

Is that 30mm max at a time? So you could take 2 to 3 passes as long as each cut was less than 30mm. Do you need to cut full depth in one pass?

Neil

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Try Scott and Sargent near London. Good website and prices. I asked this question a few months ago and someone from the company replied. Havent got round to buying one yet as I need to buy or make a narrower riving knife for my saw otherwise the timber will just jam up on the narrower kerf cut.

Mike

Wrong tool for the job; fix the bandsaw!

Forget YouTube, etc. Get Steve Maskery's bandsaw DVDs - I did years back, and it transformed my saw.

When you've watched it, you'll see how to go through the saw systematically aligning and fixing problems. Then get some thin kerf blades from Ian at Tuff Saws (tell him what saw it is, and what task you want the blade for - not just "resawing" but a rough idea of depth of cut and type of wood).

You'll be so smug that a smug thing feeling superior won't beat you for smugness. And resawing will be a doddle.

:)

E.

PS: Make sure the BS has good dust extraction too. There are threads about this topic here, too. Basically, if you can pull the dust from just under the table (near the bottom guides), the machine will stay cleanest. Resawing damp wood will probably shorten the life of the blade, as it will tend to clog and overheat, which will dull the teeth pretty fast.

Eric
I have "Record BS350" I can only guess at what the BS stands for.

There are so many areas on this thing where the adjustments are not fine enough. As an example the machine has 4 guide bushes, 2 at the top and two below the table. these flop around with so much play that it is impossible to get the suggested gap between the bush and the blade.

I don't want to spend money on a precision bit of kit hence me turning to the table saw for the job.

Don't know if you can get third party replacements bit for this machine, I suppose this is an investigation route.

Have a look at the last page on this thread: post1165494.html#p1165494 it shows the guides I put on my BS350, it was not really necessary, but I hated the rubbing blocks, most people get on OK with the rubbing blocks on this machine and the larger one's, what exactly is wrong with yours?

I also have the Yandles replacement guides for this machine, this will be going onto the for sale section here when I return to the UK: http://www.yandles.co.uk/precision-roll ... 350/p14583

Also have a look at this thread: new-bandsaw-guides-from-axminster-t104943.html

Mike

Record Power do demonstrations of the BS350 at the D&M toolshow where they cover setting up and resawing. It's worth going along since you are local to see what they do to achieve cuts like this, although you will need to wait until October.

You say that the bandsaw constantly wanders - do you cut bowl blanks with the blade you are trying to resaw with?

If you are trying to resaw timber, IE deeping into thinner boards then the chances are that you will lose far more timber due to inherent tension that is released by the timber being cut than a 1mm or so of kerf.

no idea":2l325jsv said:
Record Power do demonstrations of the BS350 at the D&M toolshow where they cover setting up and resawing. It's worth going along since you are local to see what they do to achieve cuts like this, although you will need to wait until October.

You say that the bandsaw constantly wanders - do you cut bowl blanks with the blade you are trying to resaw with?

I might pop along to the show and ask for advice. I'm also in the process of replacing the blade to see if that will improve things.

Nine times out of ten, its a blunt blade that causes wandering, not the guides, Tuffsaw make the best blades I have used, even the metal cutting blade is a revelation, what a bonus having a motorised hacksaw.

Mike

Bandsaws aren't complex, but you seem (from my reading of what you post) that you don't understand the thing. Apologies if I have this wrong.

That Record is one I'd aspire to! It simply can't be that bad unless it's been left in a field for years.

Get Steve's DVDs. Watch them. PM him to ask which one(s) have the basic stuff on them (sorry I can't remember and don't have them to hand typing this).

THAT WILL HELP YOU.

Arguing about it won't.

Back