Home made blank drying kiln

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you still get those old fashioned lightbulbs, particularly the 60w and 70w?

I use a plastic garden storage box with a solar panel linked to a small PC fan (that draws air through the cabinet). In the day the fan keeps the air moving for drying, and at night it stops, and the moisture inside the cabinet condenses on the outside of the green wood; reducing the risk of splitting. Basically a poor man's solar kiln, and after the initial outlay there's no energy costs.

sploo":1tkz3yu8 said:
I use a plastic garden storage box with a solar panel linked to a small PC fan (that draws air through the cabinet). In the day the fan keeps the air moving for drying, and at night it stops, and the moisture inside the cabinet condenses on the outside of the green wood; reducing the risk of splitting. Basically a poor man's solar kiln, and after the initial outlay there's no energy costs.

At risk of hijacking OP - Could I request a photo or two of your setup?

TIA

Greg

gregmcateer":2svc12rz said:
sploo":2svc12rz said:

At risk of hijacking OP - Could I request a photo or two of your setup?

TIA

Greg
I had to go for a bit of a hunt, but eventually found it; check out the last post in the thread here: how-to-dry-and-cut-some-horse-chestnut-logs-t86909-15.html

The box is now very full, and we've subsequently moved from Oxfordshire to Yorkshire, but I've never had any mold problems with timber stored inside it. I haven't actually got round to using that timber though!

Thanks Sploo ... that looks like its a bit easier than getting the freon out of a fridge/freezer (or whatever they gave in them these days!)

dcmguy":11iplret said:
Thanks Sploo ... that looks like its a bit easier than getting the freon out of a fridge/freezer (or whatever they gave in them these days!)
Thanks.

I have plans (and now the room) to build a bigger one, but it's unlikely to happen this year.

sploo":37gjaa3z said:
I had to go for a bit of a hunt, but eventually found it; check out the last post in the thread here: how-to-dry-and-cut-some-horse-chestnut-logs-t86909-15.html

The box is now very full, and we've subsequently moved from Oxfordshire to Yorkshire, but I've never had any mold problems with timber stored inside it. I haven't actually got round to using that timber though!

Perfect, Sploo, Many thanks for finding it. Looks a pretty neat little system.
Can I check - Is the fan drawing air in and down, or up and out? (And does it matter?)
Cheers
Greg

gregmcateer":2ay7b5p7 said:
Perfect, Sploo, Many thanks for finding it. Looks a pretty neat little system.
Can I check - Is the fan drawing air in and down, or up and out? (And does it matter?)
Cheers
Greg
It's blowing in; the idea being that it pushes the warm air at the top of the cabinet through the stack of stickered timber. Going the other way I guess it'd more likely draw in cooler air from the bottom holes and just eject the warm air out of the top, so not quite as effective.

A "proper" solar kiln circulates the air (with the option to vent some outside): http://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/solar-kiln

Excellent idea i have a long chest freezer which i used for home brewing with a thermostatically controlled heater cable approx 60 watts . I think i can turn this freezer on its end and drill holes for the air circulation and convert it into a kiln. stepping up the heat as the drying continues to dry my blanks. one thing to remember is the old style filament bulbs are being phased for environmental reasons out so hang onto any you may have.

boomerang bender":3c0yfne8 said:
one thing to remember is the old style filament bulbs are being phased for environmental reasons out so hang onto any you may have.
Car seat heaters are typically about 45W, could be found in a scrappy's.
Duncan

Duncan A":qsndx2ja said:
boomerang bender":qsndx2ja said:
one thing to remember is the old style filament bulbs are being phased for environmental reasons out so hang onto any you may have.
Car seat heaters are typically about 45W, could be found in a scrappy's.
Duncan

Would that be 12v DC ? So need to have a transformer

Brian

boomerang bender":3bwt4e47 said:
Excellent idea i have a long chest freezer which i used for home brewing with a thermostatically controlled heater cable approx 60 watts . I think i can turn this freezer on its end and drill holes for the air circulation and convert it into a kiln. stepping up the heat as the drying continues to dry my blanks. one thing to remember is the old style filament bulbs are being phased for environmental reasons out so hang onto any you may have.

Why would you up end it? It will work just as well sitting on its feet. It just becomes a top load kiln. The disadvantage might be wanting some wood at the bottom and having to unload part of it to get at it. An advantage is being able to stack and sticker full length boards for drying.

Going to dry wood and brew at the same time? :D

Pete

I've had visions of some programme in the future on industrial archaeology with "what does the team think this piece of 21st century technology is for?" #-o

I've been thinking about using a home-brew heating jacket for a gentle background heat, they're designed for long term use, 240v and I think are thermostatically controlled. Down side is they're expensive but I find filament bulbs fail quite soon when left on for 12hrs at a time.

I'm also considering the heat mats sold for reptile vivariums, cheaper than the home brew jacket, available in a range of sizes and powers, 240v mains powered and designed for continuous use, I've got one still working after 20 years. You can even add a thermostatic controller.

I've discovered that stacking green wood in my shed, covered but not end grain treated (schoolboy error) has been a disaster this summer, it was way too hot in there so I'll have to rethink that.

Always something new to learn.

Steve

Latest posts

Back