Where to start

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainMan

Reaction score
First post. I'm a newbie to the forum, and not done anything fancy in wood since wood work at school 20+ years ago. I'd like to potter away making things (kids toys, garden furniture). I've been browsing for a few weeks and found it interesting.

I'm kitting out my shed (10'x12') for dual use. One 10' side is mostly glass and the potting bench, the other 10' side is going to be my hobby bench. Trying to plan how to fit in tools - currently thinking of a stumpy L shape, with the lathe on the extension, the pillar drill in the corner, working area then bandsaw and lower section of workbench, table saw and router table stored underneath to come out into room.

I'd be quite interested if anyone has some photos or plans they could share on how they've fitted into what is approximately a 5' x 10' space using just 1 long and 1 short wall. I have been browsing the forum for inspiration. All advice welcome :D

Second question - I'm not going to splash out on brand new top-end machinery, but I need a few bits to get started, and I've got to put some decent extraction in. Should I buy cheaper new stuff and look to replace or second hand (ebay) better brand. Obviously with cheaper new stuff, I'll suffer from the inaccuracies, but with second hand there could be things damaged or not working.

I've got a good quality circular saw and an passable mitre saw. I was thinking of an Axminster or Record Power bandsaw (benchtop) new and either a similar brand lathe or look for a second hand one - something to learn on. I've always wanted a router but that could wait. For a pillar drill, unless I find a local secondhand one I was going with a <£100 no name. Table saw might have to wait - I can buy timber cut down for now, and keep an eye out for a decent second hand.

Last question - dust extraction. With the tools close together I was thinking of a short fixed pipe with a couple of gates to connect into and the extraction provided by a single multi-filter unit like a camvac. A balance of space and effectiveness. Ideally with output outside, and possibly even the unit housed outside. Any recommendation for a decent all in one unit that will take anything from chippings to sanding dust.

Welcome to the forum MM.
I don't think the machines you have listed will fit into the space you have available. It might be best to start off with some handtools, then it will become clearer what you need in the way of essential power stuff.

John

John15":h920bahv said:
Welcome to the forum MM.
I don't think the machines you have listed will fit into the space you have available. It might be best to start off with some handtools, then it will become clearer what you need in the way of essential power stuff.

John

If it was a straight bench, how much space would you allow for a lathe (900mm), band saw (600mm) and pillar drill leaving enough room for handwork (4 ft??). I might have to rejig the layout. :(

The other tools would be housed under the bench and come out into the room to work. With two parallel benches, my open working area is 10' x 8' partially open on one 8' side which I thought would be okay for table saw or working at a router table.

For extraction, you might want to look at the Camvac 286 wall mount http://www.recordpower.co.uk/produc...t-wall-mounted-extractor-4-inlet#.WZTH1VGQxaQ. It will cope with most things and you can buy an enormous range of hoses and adapters from Yandles, which will enable you to attach it to almost anything or duct out the entire shed. It's not ideal for anything that produces chippings, but its a powerful vac at 2000W. Will run off 13Amp.

Physical space will be the toughie for you. A bandsaw needs space in front and behind, potentially to the side. It really comes down to what you're going to be doing. A table saw in such a space sounds like it might be a tight fit.

My advice would be, to take a step back from everything, assess what you'd like to do and where you'd like to end up, then find out which machines suit your purposes and whether they would fit into your space. The list you gave might be doable, but how motivated are you going to be if every single time you need to perform a simple task, you have to rearrange your workshop to complete it? You need some kind of workflow, otherwise you'll get frustrated.

The key thing is space around the machines.

Hand tools may be a better bet but arguably have a steeper learning curve.

MountainMan":1veekk5h said:
John15":1veekk5h said:
Welcome to the forum MM.

John

If it was a straight bench, how much space would you allow for a lathe (900mm), band saw (600mm) and pillar drill leaving enough room for handwork (4 ft??). I might have to rejig the layout. :(

The other tools would be housed under the bench and come out into the room to work. With two parallel benches, my open working area is 10' x 8' partially open on one 8' side which I thought would be okay for table saw or working at a router table.

The lathe is self limiting by its capacity. A bandsaw might need 6ft behind and in front of it, or it might need 1ft, it depends on what you want to do. Pillar drill, again, it may need 6ft either side, or it might need 1ft.

4ft for handwork is probably ok if you're box making, but not if you want to make a dining table.

etc etc :)

I would put the lathe at the bottom of the list, unless you are really keen on turning. bench space is important, dont clog it with a lathe that will only get used occasionally.

I would say a bandsaw is extremely versatile, can be used to make many circular things as well as bandsaw boxes and straight cuts in deep wood.
A router table also can do more than just cut beadings, I use mine to plane edges, and make more shapes than I can describe.

I have the sip 01929 dust collector and am very happy with it. Ignore the misleading info that says its not for dust, I have no idea who wrote that but he's an silly person. I use mine for all my machines as well as a vacuum hose to clean the workshop at the end of the day and it picks up EVERYTHING. All dust collectors are extremely noisy, but you can make a project out of putting it in a noise reducing box, there are many utube vids on that subject.

Thanks. The lathe is key to the whole thing, it's the "fun" bit of what I want a fixed workshop (rather than building on the lawn).
I've listened to the space concerns. I can probably switch a panel of garden tools with the band saw position and have it freestanding on moveable base. Then if I build a 1.4mx1.4x0.5m L shaped corner for lathe and drill, I can fit a moveable 1.5m bench along the rest of the wall which can swing out into the room, which has loads of space. I can park it either way around leaving room for a collapsible 0.75m high work table for seated work or mounting bench top router to. Pretty much it'll either be a summer potting shed or winter workbench, so out of season I have another 2.1m of bench for working on, which has rails for a removable top (currently slatted). Going to sketch it properly tonight.

My wife is insisting on a tea and biscuits area and the low level worktop for her.

One days my Victorian pig sty will finally need replacing and I can build 8m X 4m brick workshop - the pigs had a large building!!!

Movable workbench - any suggestions? I wondered about those mechanisms they have for moveable pool tables, that raise and lower so it's not always on the wheels.

I bought a couple of the Lidl/Aldi three wheeled dollies - they're about £12 each now iirc - and used them to move my bench when needed. Just lift one end, slip the thing under and repeat for the other end. It's easier though if you're actually moving house or workshop if you have a bench with a removable top, half its weight is in the top and the vice(s).

Back