bandsaw buying advice plese?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gilljc

Established Member
Reaction score
Just had to return a Fox f28 186a 10" bandsaw because a) the table wasn't flat and b) the tracking bolt was faulty, it always felt like it was cross threaded and eventually stripped itself. Can't fault the back up and after sales from Fox, and got a no hassle refund from the seller.
My quandary now is do I buy a new one the same, although it was a great wee saw, but advised to look for 186, which will have a different table....was feeling a little limited with the 120mm depth of cut, or upgrade to the next size up?
Have looked at Fox and Charnwood, is there a great deal to choose between makers names in the 'budget' range? The Charnwood one appears to be similar, but has a 'quick release' on the tension. Sounds good for old hands with arthritis, and is only £20 dearer.
Buying second hand isn't an option as there is nothing within range that I could fit into my wee shed, (and my wee pocket) as it is will probably have to get rid of my cheapy benchtop table saw, which I don't use very often, in order to fit in the 150mm depth of cut saw....

Was having great fun with my bandsaw, and am really missing it, must make a decision soon..........

..to a large extent you get what you pay for. I never really bothered about a band saw until I brought an Aldi "cheapie". But it is very "small" and the fence is a bit rubbish and the table is a pressed tin affair...but its been absolutely brilliant for the money and I could not have repaired my rotten conservatory without it.

However I am now a big convert to band saws and when it finally hangs up its "band" I will certainly get another as I have found it so useful.

Originally I did look at Charnwood, but now I would defo pay a bit more and get a Record as they look better quality to me. (Especially if you can get one in a "show" when they tend to offer some good discounts).

The two big names in bandsaws for the hobbyist are record and axminster.
I had a fox, it was rubbish. I have an axminster, I'm happy.

Latest posts

Back