Record 045c

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynax

Established Member
Reaction score
so as not to hijack other threads, i have bagged one off ebay, brand new never used, got it very very cheap, but as i understand it should come with a 4mm cutter, but i can't see one in the photos of it, i'm not too concerned at this and i know that original cutters are like hens teeth made from rocking horse droppings, from what i can see from internet searches the cutters seem to have a slot on the edge for the adjustment, if this is so it could be that the Stanley #50's have a similar cutter, anyway if anyone has one of these what thickness are the cutters as i am going to " attempt :-$ " making some, i've watched a few yt videos on the subject and if all goes well i hope to be able to make a good selection, so apart from the obvious and get an 044 complete with the cutters, i really want to try and do it, i can get O1 steel from Cromwells in various thicknesses and widths so the actual making should be minimal in terms of cutting and shaping, so with that said does anyone have any pointers in blade/cutter making, cheers,

This is the 1980s tool with the blue plastic handle, isn't it.

I can confirm that the three smallest sizes - 1/8" (3.2mm); 4mm and 3/16" (4.8mm) were all plain steel, being too narrow to have a notch. They are the same 1/8" thick stock as the others and about 90mm long. In use, you can use the threaded adjuster to advance the cutter, but not to retract it - this is no big deal and easy to get used to. I always like to set the adjuster so it's touching the top, even if I have used it to bring the cutter up. It stops the adjustment shifting in use.

You can use equivalent cutters from the similar Stanley offerings, or from an older plane. These can be ground to width if needed. They can also be made new, from O1 stock, apparently.

I don't want to put you off having fun with the barbecue, but Ray Iles does some plough plane cutters which will work in your plane (if you ignore the adjuster, which you can) though there's no 4mm listed on the website

https://www.oldtoolstore.co.uk/replacem ... s-15-c.asp

Thanks Andy, i have also found a wip on another forum, where someone else has done the same, is linking to other forums allowed as i have bookmarked the page for reference might be of help to others if they fancy a go, will post the link, to the mods if link breaches forum rules please remove,

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/43893

had a look at the rules and nothing about linking to other forums so guess that it is ok,

Hi Andy, just caught your edit, thanks for the link, it is an option if it all goes pear shaped, but for the experience i will give it a go,

it arrived today, it is in as new condition but no cutter as suspected, on the whole very pleased with it, the handle actually feels nice in the hand, but time will tell, looking forward to making the cutters for it, just one thing that took me by surprise was the scoring cutter at the front, when i ran it across the palm of my hand, good job i'm thick skinned :) ,

Latest posts

Back