Low salt bread recipes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to high jack the topic but has we are on the subject does anyone own the backmeister bread maker 68511 , I am looking for the manual for the machine i have found some on line but i don't trust the page to download so if you have a set any chance i can have a little look please
Alan

sunnybob":8z338web said:
I cant buy fresh yeast locally, I have to buy the packets of bread maker yeast. I have tried to use it at these temps but the bread can come out anywhere between "ok" and "put it in the bin", so its easier (and cheaper) to just wait for the winter again.

You can store dried yeast in the fridge. I keep mine in the fridge door and it works perfectly every time. The cold just suppresses the activity of the yeast, it doesn't kill it. As soon as it is up to room temperature (within a minute or two), it works fine.

sunnybob":3fim2ba9 said:
Panasonic breadmaker... been using them since 1995. I wore one out over ten years ago (two baskets before the motor died), the second is showing signs of age.
best bread maker ever made.

1 1/4 teaspoons hovis bread machine yeast
250g of wholewheat (granary) flour
250g of white flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of sugar
28g of butter (NOT SOFT! the real stuff, salted or unsalted to taste)
310ml room temp water
5 hour wholewheat setting.
Best bread ever made.

Ive got this recipe in the breadmaker right now, due out at 5.30pm :D

I've learnt something from this thread. I'm painfully aware that heat kills the yeast, I was not aware I could chill it down to fridge temps.
i've just surfed the subject and you can even freeze the stuff. Just a shame I cant leave it in the cupboard during summer.
too late for this summer, but I see a lot of bovril covered toast in my distant future.

So if I get fresh yeast from Tesco, can anyone advise at to what sort of amount I should use in place of a tsp of dried yeast?
And why am I asking these questions on a woodwork forum, rtaher than a home baking forum?

phil.p":3cfj406j said:
We have three Tescos within a few miles - one charges 30p, one 1p, and the other will give it free but only one portion. I'm now used to dried yeast as I haven't transport any more, it's fine once you get used to it.

Morrisons sell 128g of fresh yeast for 50p. 16g is enough for 600 g of flour or even more if you are OK with a longer rising time. So, 50p for eight large loaves.

It's a known method - make up a starter with strong flour and when it's working well use half and top the other half up and leave it for a day and repeat. San Fransisco sour doughs (probably among others) have been going for well over 100 years like this.

Good day breadmakers,
Back to the original low salt question, I had been gradually reducing the amount of salt in a 1kilo loaf from 2 teaspoons and got down to 1/2 a teaspoon but had seen an increase of the top of the loaf having risen and fallen back.
I returned to the 2 teaspoons and, hey presto, we are back to a njce round top crust.
We are using a Lakeland breadmaker and have had it about 5years doing 2 or 3 loaves a week and are well pleased with it.
Just to let you know my experience,,
,,,,,,,,,,,joe,,,,

The salt limits the activity of the yeast, maybe reduce the salt to 1/2 tsp and reduce the yeast slightly?

None of the recipes in my bread machine manual call for more than a teaspoon of salt. How much lower salt would you go? Besides which it isn't the salt that causes the blood sugar hikes it's the starch in the wheat flour. I cant see such tiny amounts of salt affecting BP enough to cause alarm. In fact the connection between elevated BP and salt is also being called into question in some quarters.

Fact is bread is stodgy, and it's 'fattening', as we say. Few people love bread more than I did a few years ago, but just after I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I developed an allergy to it, insofar as I began to suffer burning indigestion after eating it, and a definite uncomfortable bloating. So I have virtually given up eating it. I do eat the occasional French-stick, which doesn't seem so bad. Since November last year my weight loss, although slow, has been quite dramatic. I miss my spuds too, but there it is; one either wishes to be slimmer, or one doesn't!

As for suggested quantities of salt per day, I don't think I would ever want to eat 6 grams.of salt in one hit!

Cheers
John

Im a bit of novice breadmaker, so Im just keeping to the recipe with 1 teaspoon or whatever of sakt.

Once Ive had a bit of experience I might then play around with the salt qty.

The recommended daily allowance for salt is 6 grammes.

However there is some research that would suggest we need just 1.5grammes a day.

Certainly there are people that have switched to a low salt diet and have reduced their blood pressure quite quickly.

My blood pressure until recently was around 137 / 90. However I tested it a few months ago and it was 160 / 100 and after a 24 hour test, the highest reading was 194 / 112.

Certainly running a business is stressful and long hours leads to too much snacking, which Im trying to sort out.

The doc says: be thin, be fit, dont booze much, eat little salt.

I used to work in the workshop quite a lot, but now have to spend 99% of the time chained to the desk sadly. Not sonething I find natural or enjoy much, It seems silly really, I employ staff to do what Id like to do.

Latest posts

Back