Tormek users

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used the smaller Tormek for years - intermittently. It gives a good grind, but it's messy to use, and slow. However, I've never used it to produce a 'finished' edge, just to maintain the primary bevel.

For some years, I used a Spyderco medium ceramic stone to give a cutting edge, and to periodically touch it up during use. For someone doing site work, I think it would be a good choice, for several reasons. Firsty, it comes in a fairly decent plastic case to keep it clean and protected, and it's compact, so easy to keep in a mobile tool kit. It can be used dry (unlike just about any other honing stone), but works better with a bit of water to carry off the abraded metal. It leaves a edge a bit finer than a Norton fine India, but on the downside it's a bit slower cutting. If it becomes a bit clogged, it can be cleaned in a dish-washer, or by a good rubbing with a pan-scrub in hot soapy water. It's impermeable, so can be wiped off on site and put away - minimal mess. It isn't cheap, but unless it's really thrown about, it's pretty well indestructible, and it barely seems to wear at all, even after considerable use.

https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/pt/ ... stones.htm is one source in the UK; some hunting may reveal others.

Spyderco also make an extra-fine stone which gives the sort of polished edge you'd associate with high grit number waterstones, translucent Arkansas and the like. Not cheap, but effective.

Whether it's preferable to the good old Norton India (which I now use in the workshop) is a matter for each to decide for themselves. However, when I did use the ceramics, they did strike me as a good option for someone doing a lot of site work.

DW has pretty much covered my point, gwr. If you think you might want to use a jig the 3" stones seem to work well, although I have limited experience of them. I would ask DW and follow his advice. I'm not sure there's a set up he's not tried!

I've never been able to find a large inexpensive labeled water of ayr!!

Other than that, I've tried pretty much everything, but my jones at this point is natural stones and older synthetics.

Back