Outdoor protection for hidden timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at the target area again, I'm thinking it might be an idea to dig up the existing paving and a few inches below it, then re-pack and compact properly, then throw a nice thick (dead level) slab before I do anything else. I'm concerned that the weight of the whole shed and contents (including big fat me) might cause things to subside otherwise.

Man... all I wanted was a workshop shed, not Noah's Ark! :)

If you lay timber beams on concrete blocks, put down something to act as a damp proof course. Pond liner is tough, durable, cheap and easily available. Concrete is porous and will wick moisture into the timber, the pond liner will stop that and extend the life of the timber even further. It will cost pennies to do this and will extend the life by several years at least.

Why not lay a new 4" thick slab of concrete (with reinforcing mesh) over the existing slabs and have a solid floor? easy, cheap and rot proof plus you get to get things spot on for level. For any workshop with machines being run, a solid floor is by far the most suitable if you can go that way.

Back