mental block

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatboy

Established Member
Reaction score
what is the correct name for the fixing that uses a dovetailed slot in the back of the work piece that engages with the head of a screw fixed to the wall?; the work piece slides on and is held in place by the pressure of the countersunk screw head against the dovetailed slot? Hidden screw? concealed screw? Any tips on how to cut one would be greatly received. I'm guessing an initial hole wide enough to take the screw head to the right depth followed by a straight cutter the width of the screws shank followed by a dovetail cutter? or is the last cut redundant?

If you mean a method of fixing, just with wood, without any metal part, then it's called secret screwing.
It dates back well before router cutters and does not need any.

One side has a countersunk screw, head and shank projecting a little. The other has a small hole (clearance size of the screw shank) with a bigger hole next to it, same depth, clearance size for the screw head.

Put the two parts together and knock sideways so the screw head forces itself sideways and makes its own tight slot. This works ok in ordinary softwood. I've used it to edge join two boards - one advantage is that it needs no clamps.

I've seen it described as a way to fit skirtings in polished work (ie not painted) where no nail heads should be seen.

Edit: Wells and Hooper include it here

https://www.archive.org/stream/modernca ... 7/mode/1up

It's called slot screwing, also used for concealed fixing of architraves in really posh work. It consists of a blind hole the size of the screw head and a slot above it roughly the width of the screw shank. The timber being fitted is put on the screws and pressed down to make the heads bite into the slots.
Needs to be done accurately or the trim or mirror/picture won't fit. Isaac Lord sell a metal plate which does a similar job when let into the back of a frame

Back