Computer Service Concerns

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexam

Bandsaw Boxmaker
Reaction score
I hope nobody has had this problem, but I am very concerned with a computer company that has done work for me before.

Having had a problem with my Windows7 PC, I called my computer guy to explain. He thought it may be the hard drive, so came out to have a look. Then said he would check it out but did think it was the drive needing replacement. He took away my PC plus I gave him my original copy of Windows7 Ultimate, together with. WD 1TB portable hard disk, on which I have my computer backups.

He called to update me but said he couldnt now find the W7 disk or my portable drive, but would look again. He has just called to say he thinks he can get a copy from the old drive disk, but cannot find the W7 or my portable and thinks it may have been lost.

I am greatly concerned that confidential information could get into anyone's hands, which could lead to other things in the future. He doesn't seen so concerned, although he has apologised. He said he can load a copy of W7 Ultimate and see if he can copy the old disk.

He is a nice guy with a good ongoing business with website etc. I don't want to be difficult, but should he replace the actual W7 disk, or undertake to back it up in future if needed, but what action if anything should I be considering about the information that could be in anyone's hands now?

Malcolm

Tell him if he doesnt return the original and the hard drive you will prosecute for theft, and also inform the local paper.

he can use that original to load up other machines and sell them on.
the guy is a thief. Plain and simple.

As he can't return the originals, at least he needs to replace the originals. Main concern is what may happen with information on my backup regarding banks, investments, personal details passport and card details Etsy etc. He will need to agree to compensate me should there be ant repercussions on this information getting into the wrong hands.

He has a good computer business, but if it's a limited company, he could avoid personal loss and lose his company. Don't want to threaten as he seems a nice guy and has done well with me in the past.
Malcolm

Stuff happens and things go missing. The disk and Win7 CD might have fallen between the car seat and floor, or somewhere else, but I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that he is a thief. I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but would definitely take John's advice and change all of your online account passwords. At a minimum, he owes you a valid license for the Win7 OS and a replacement portable HD, but only you can determine the value of the HD contents.

There is no question or assumption that he is a thief. He has simply lost them according to him. I will certainly ensure that he accepts responsibility for any further damages or loss relating to the lost items falling into the wrong hands.

Will see what happens next week.

How did he lose the disks? If accidentally thrown in a skip at the local tip, probably not much risk of data theft and no opportunity to recover. If possibly passed onto another customer in error, a much higher risk and he should make all possible effort to recover.
Not much use on this occasion, but it is always best to keep sensitive information on a computer encrypted. All of the usual office products offer the facility and it is very straightforward in use.
Good luck with whatever measures you decide to take.
Duncan

Hi Duncan, his comment was he thought he may have put the disk and drive on the car roof whilst loading the pic. However, he took the pic and W7 disk out to his car and I followed up with my portable hard drive so he could use the backup when new hard drive fitted.
Sounds a very silly thing to do to use the car roof, but if he had done that, we would most likely have seen them on the driveway when he drove off as we followed him out to go for an early meal and nothing was there.

I am presently going through several years diaries and note books to check on what was on the pic and also started to change passwords.

Good comment on encryption and I will do this in future.

Malcolm

I recently used VeraCrypt to hide and encrypt some passwords etc. on my laptop when going on holiday. It worked easily enough.

Alexam":28u5pnfe said:
...he thought he may have put the disk and drive on the car roof whilst loading the pic. Malcolm
Blimey, that is a strange one! Have you checked the roadside at the first bend or stop?
It may also be worth warning your bank and other organisations that your security may have been compromised so that they can take appropriate action. DON'T tell them you had your passwords listed in plain text or anything like that!
Duncan

I had a recent conversation with my father regarding something quite similar and when I asked him what the value was of what was on his backup drive, his response was "priceless".

While I won't go so far as to say he's an outright thief, he wouldn't be in business for long if he keep up that sort of behaviour, I DO think he was pretty reckless with your backup drive KNOWING it was your backup drive. Every computer guy will tell you to make backups, BUT that's bloody pointless if the PC maintenance guy loses them now isn't it?

With that in mind I think it might be prudent to tell him you intend to make a claim against his public liability insurance (PLEASE tell me he has some) for the loss of the value of the information on the backup drive, and your time it'll take to reconstitute it - and make sure he understands if you suffer any other personal or financial loss or aggravation as a result of your information being accessed by an unknown third party - you'll be after him for that too.

If / WHEN (hopefully) you make the claim, DO NOT accept any clause that states "this settlement includes any and all future liability or claims pertaining to this event" - which basically means any monies you accept now will prevent you from making any further claim against him or his company regardless of the value of your loss.

As said, only you can place a figure on the value, but if it contained old business accounts records, or personal correspondences containing important information or photographs etc, many of those could be hard to get back; how difficult will it be for you just to get the vital stuff back? How many hours / days effort will it take?

As far as "Don't want to be difficult", you entrusted him with your computer and backup with important information on; you have every right to be as difficult as you need to be to make sure he knows he has royally fkd up and he should be treating this far more seriously than it sounds he is - I think this guy needs a reminder that every customers PC and storage device he takes into his care as part of his business are peoples lives - he should treat each of them with the utmost care and attention.

Bottom line is if he cannot lay hands on any customers equipment and data he has taken into his care at any given moment in time, he deserves to go out of business.

As an aside - one backup is not enough. Spinning disk hard drives are prone to failure. Fine to use but use SSD for one of your backups. Much cheaper now than they used to be.

What the others said Malcolm but the real lesson here is never hand over your personal info to anyone in the first place, if someone used those to access your bank account, the bank would be within its rights to refuse compensation as you willingly handed the details to a third party. Doesn't help much now but maybe a warning to others.

If the guy has a legitimate business then he is liable and at the very least must find or replace the items and an excuse about maybe leaving on the car roof is ridiculous for a professional to state and says a lot about his overall attitude imo. As far as being a nice guy, that's meaningless and though I'm not saying he is, the nicest people often turn out to be crooks. That said, the guy sounds very "iffy" to me and at best an amateur.

As said, you urgently need to change all your passwords and notify anyone of importance that your details might be compromised.

cheers
Bob

ps: A copy of windows is of no use if he installs that on your pc as it might well be identified as such by Microsoft and they will view as illegal, you need a legitimate new version registered to you so you can get updates and supports.

Hi Bob,
I have already changed a few important passwords and will be insisting on new W7Ultimate disk to register, although I'm not sure it can now be registered if it's not the latest Windows. Just that I don't want Windows 10. I will ask anyway. A new portable 1TB disk is required plus the program to get backups as soon as plugged in, as I had before.

Let's see what comes up next week.

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm
It's easy to be wise after the event and we've all been there with something!

Why do you need a specific program to back up your files? Do you do a full back up maybe overwriting the previous version?
All I do is copy my files straight over on to an HDD and as said I also make a second copy of my important files.

I still use Win 7 on all our PCs and laptops for the same reason, I tried Win 8 and Win 10 and don't like either. I disabled auto updates only and only installed those absolutely necessary for security,never had a problem.

Bob

Simple answer, though not much use for you with your immediate issue, is to buy a Mac. I spent countless hours of my life trying to fettle Windows PCs before I went Apple. Macs are very secure, no need for anti virus software and constantly updating it, you don't have to be a computer geek to get the best from them, they just work intuitively.

Maybe the next Change, if there is time, will be to a MAC. Certainly don't want Windows 10 and constant charges, but not sure if Mac have charges for updates?

Back